pc to mac.. now back to pc.. my g5 1.6 biggest headache!

D

dankim723

PC to Mac... now going BACK!!! g5 1.6ghz horrible!
So basically, i get the G5 and it starts working.. fast forward a week... FREEZING, NOISE, CRASHING, FANS SPINNING OUT OF CONTROL!!! I've taken the computer back in twice now and its still freezing... Apple says i have had 37 entries made on my case # regarding my computer and still i'm at square one... this is terrible... They replaced my powersupply because it was making this weezing noise but that only was a temp fix... seems like they don't know why my comp is freezing and they keep saying that it's a softwear issue.. the only problem with that theory is that it's crashed with several different applications... office X has had the most issues but others like IE have been crashing as well...

The same applications have been installed in a g4 pb and they work fine.. why don't they run on the g5!!! I've been a long time PC user and it took me a lot to finally switch over.. i used to talk highly of the mac machines but now i have a new story... here it goes...

I am Daniel... i was a PC user.. i sold macs at a mac retailer for 5 years to hundreds of customers... i make music, design websites, and dabble in video editing... after seeing all the ads and hearing wonderful stories... i NEED A MAC!!!

I am Daniel, i bought a mac... i want this mac to work.. this mac does not work.. i called apple support over 20 times.. this mac is still not working.. apple says that it is too late for an exchange... apple sent me extra ram to shut me up... apple did not fix my computer.. Apple says i have to bring the computer back in for repairs again.. I have spent over 4 weeks dealing with this mess and it still isn't fixed.. i feel like apple's test animal... try this, try that.. man.... JUST GIVE ME SOMETHING THAT WORKS!!!! reformat, reinstall, first aid, reinstall, uninstall, CRASH! ERRR...

I am Daniel, I'm on a mac forum... i hate my MAC.. i am going back to PC!

if anyone reads this and has ANY INFO on what i can do... help me be a believer of macs again.. please speak up... if not... then .. GOODBYE MAC WORLD!! (oh btw..i worked macworld and am a apple gold certified agent! Isn't that a joke!)

oh i wrote a message on apple.com and they took off my post.. this is hilarious:

Your post titled "G5 Worst Computer Experience EVER!!!" has been removed from Apple Discussions. Posts including (but not limited to) any of the following are not appropriate:

* Discussions of Apple policies and procedures (including pricing and repair policies)
* Speculations/rumors about future Apple decisions
* Questions/rumors about unreleased products
* Posts in the technical forums that are not directly related to a technical support issue
* Polls, petitions, auctions, or advertisements
* Posts that are only complaints
* Posts which contain or imply abusive or obscene language
* Posts which are abusive to other Discussions users

Please see the Overview section at http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX/help for more information on the purpose of the Apple discussion forums, as well as the terms and conditions for posting on Apple Discussions. Each Discussion user is required to agree to these terms before gaining posting privileges. You reserve the right to not post on Apple Discussions should you disagree with these terms.

Sometimes you have comments or concerns for which there is no technical response. If you need the kind of help that a troubleshooting expert can't provide, you can call Apple's Customer Relations group.

PC to MAC.. now going Back... sad sad...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
im sorry to hear you have had so many problems with your G5. I switched over to apple in july and have had nothing but success in my conversion.

I am not sure how i can help get you back to the mac side but there are some other people on this board who have had some difficulties and got through it who might be able to help

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
maybe those apps need to be rewritten for 64 bit processors Try reinstalling the system software? my PowerBook crashed a lot for a couple weeks, not sure what i did but it hasnt crashed sinse.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Here is some basic things you can try.

Make sure all connectors and boards are seated and plugged in tightly.
If you have third party memory or hardware remove them.
Do a fresh install of your OS and Applications (don't install of your old configuration).

This may help in narrowing down your problem. This is basically what most tech supports would suggest.

I am sorry you are having problem, I can not relate to your problem unless I look at my work PC. I have alway use Apple products with no problems. I have alway had and have problems with my PC. What I really don't understand about PCs is this so call speed. I have 1.2Ghz pentium III, but it does appears fast at all. But that is another story.

Have you tried taking your hardware to the Apple Store, They maybe be able to resolve your problem. I know you said you sent it in, but sometime, connect a face with a problem resolves the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
And I would also show them how many issues your computer has and how many entries you have in your case and tell them that it would just be worth it to them and to you to just replace your computer because obviously it's flawed.. see if that works.. do what rman said first though.. it would be great if it's just a problem with your components seating.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have found, that reseating boards is an easy thing to over look. i hope it is something that simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Well, I can under stand why apple would delete a post like that, after reading yours.

Were you running Panther?
were you running illegal programs?
are you trying to do things that it cannot do.. (like fly out of a 6th story floor and come back)
I really have no idea what your problem is, because you didn't really say anything, expect that you had problems with your mac. Tell us exactly what happend, and how you go to it. Remember most applications are not optimized for 64bit.

OP
C

chrisg

Hey, I'm a 15 year Mac vet. With much enthusiasm I bought my new G5. The first one delivered had a bad motherboard. I raised **** and they replaced it with a new one. I've still had problems. The G5 has proven to be the most unstable, problem filled Mac I've ever owned and I've owned many. It's fast as ****, but I think maybe rushed to market. If you're thinking of buying one, wait. I hate to say that, I'm a big fan of Apple, but I'd have a tough time recommending this machine to anybody. I know an IT guy at a major advertising agency here in New York. They put in an order for 100 units. He told me that 25 of them had bad motherboards and they returned the entire order of 100. Shipped them right back to Apple.

OP
H

hokiethang

chrisg said:

Hey, I'm a 15 year Mac vet. With much enthusiasm I bought my new G5. The first one delivered had a bad motherboard. I raised **** and they replaced it with a new one. I've still had problems. The G5 has proven to be the most unstable, problem filled Mac I've ever owned and I've owned many. It's fast as ****, but I think maybe rushed to market. If you're thinking of buying one, wait. I hate to say that, I'm a big fan of Apple, but I'd have a tough time recommending this machine to anybody. I know an IT guy at a major advertising agency here in New York. They put in an order for 100 units. He told me that 25 of them had bad motherboards and they returned the entire order of 100. Shipped them right back to Apple.

Most first generation hardware is going to have problems. Thats also why you dont buy a car right after they redesign it. Wait a couple of months and let Apple get all of the problems worked out of the design. Virginia Tech bought 1100 of the 2Ghz G5s and 25 of the nodes were not in the array on friday (for reasons which I do not know). Apparently you had bad luck, but dont try to make it out that all of the machines are lemons. The G5 I have used are solid machines, but when I buy my G5, im waiting for the next revision.

OP
K

kakosc

My advice is to raise ****, like chrisg. Dont stop at apple stores and repairers. Email Steve Jobs if you have to go that hight in the heirachy. I mean, really, whats it to apple to give you a new computer compared to you spreading the fact that you had a bad experience? They could (and probably already have from your and other people's stories) loose hundreds of potential customers. they're complete idiots if they dont give you a new one.
You dont spend thousands of dollars on a machine then have it not work. It just doesnt work that way. Does america have a department of fair trading? I'd say they'd be the way to go from here. Dont give up, raise ****.
If you dont want to go to a government department, go to the biggest apple store you have access to with your mac, hand it over the desk with your contact details and proof of purchase, blah blah blah, and say "I'm coming back here in 2 weeks. I will walk in here at 10am, i will walk out with a fully functioning G5 1.6 Ghz machine at 10:02am. I will not pay a cent." then walk out and simply ignore everything they say to you as you walk out. If that fails go the authorities. Its just not right for something like this whether it was a nose hair trimmer or a home entertainment system.
Graphite: you have a point. Dankim, there's nothing worse than an angry customer complaining to the manufacturer about a faulty peice of electronics if you've ripped the insides out and filled them with molen metal. From your recount, it sounds like that isnt the case but yeah.....

OP
M

mamatroll

Mac lemons?

Testimonial here -- I am currently using a first generation G4 that was a replacement for a lemon G3. I too fooled around patiently tolerating advice that it was a software problem (remember conflict catcher?) until, after the millionth repair trip, I had my lawyer neighbor write a letter (for $1.00) to Steve Jobs. Well, I can say that it is the middle managers who are the obstacles because after fighting with them for months, I had a replacement from Jobs in a jiffy and now could not be happier. My only regret is I just wish I had known about first and second generations then so I could have waited about 2 week more to buy the second generation G4 with the internal burner.

BTW, I'm kind of old and have no come back when my sons tell me that "nobody in their right mind" buys Macs now. They say they are no good because of expense and compatibility problems with stuff like the programs you have to use to take professional exams, etc. Got any comebacks for such smart a%%es?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Not sure if your sons understand the stock market but

"Here's better news. The long-hoped-for increase in computer sales finally materialized. The firm moved 26% more computers than last year. That's a major improvement, and it's vitally important. Those of you who read the 10K know that computers offer better margins. What's not so expressly stated is that CPUs are a much better vehicle for creating long-term Mac zealots than iPods alone. Big increases on this line not only help the bottom line, they also ensure a steadier stream of future revenues.

By far, the best bits are in the margins: The gross improved nearly two points, reversing the three-year downward trend I discussed yesterday, and setting the stage for a much more profitable earnings machine. SG&A dropped 3.5% as a portion of sales, helping net margins soar to 8.5%. That makes Apple more profitable than Dell (Nasdaq: DELL), for the time being. Absolutely amazing. Time for me to think different."

http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/2005/commentary05011301.htm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No specs yet
dankim723 said:
PC to Mac... now going BACK!!! g5 1.6ghz horrible!
So basically, i get the G5 and it starts working.. fast forward a week... FREEZING, NOISE, CRASHING, FANS SPINNING OUT OF CONTROL!!! I've taken the computer back in twice now and its still freezing... Apple says i have had 37 entries made on my case # regarding my computer and still i'm at square one... this is terrible... They replaced my powersupply because it was making this weezing noise but that only was a temp fix... seems like they don't know why my comp is freezing and they keep saying that it's a softwear issue.. the only problem with that theory is that it's crashed with several different applications... office X has had the most issues but others like IE have been crashing as well...

The same applications have been installed in a g4 pb and they work fine.. why don't they run on the g5!!! I've been a long time PC user and it took me a lot to finally switch over.. i used to talk highly of the mac machines but now i have a new story... here it goes...

I am Daniel... i was a PC user.. i sold macs at a mac retailer for 5 years to hundreds of customers... i make music, design websites, and dabble in video editing... after seeing all the ads and hearing wonderful stories... i NEED A MAC!!!

I am Daniel, i bought a mac... i want this mac to work.. this mac does not work.. i called apple support over 20 times.. this mac is still not working.. apple says that it is too late for an exchange... apple sent me extra ram to shut me up... apple did not fix my computer.. Apple says i have to bring the computer back in for repairs again.. I have spent over 4 weeks dealing with this mess and it still isn't fixed.. i feel like apple's test animal... try this, try that.. man.... JUST GIVE ME SOMETHING THAT WORKS!!!! reformat, reinstall, first aid, reinstall, uninstall, CRASH! ERRR...

I am Daniel, I'm on a mac forum... i hate my MAC.. i am going back to PC!

if anyone reads this and has ANY INFO on what i can do... help me be a believer of macs again.. please speak up... if not... then .. GOODBYE MAC WORLD!! (oh btw..i worked macworld and am a apple gold certified agent! Isn't that a joke!)

oh i wrote a message on apple.com and they took off my post.. this is hilarious:

Your post titled "G5 Worst Computer Experience EVER!!!" has been removed from Apple Discussions. Posts including (but not limited to) any of the following are not appropriate:

* Discussions of Apple policies and procedures (including pricing and repair policies)
* Speculations/rumors about future Apple decisions
* Questions/rumors about unreleased products
* Posts in the technical forums that are not directly related to a technical support issue
* Polls, petitions, auctions, or advertisements
* Posts that are only complaints
* Posts which contain or imply abusive or obscene language
* Posts which are abusive to other Discussions users

Please see the Overview section at http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX/help for more information on the purpose of the Apple discussion forums, as well as the terms and conditions for posting on Apple Discussions. Each Discussion user is required to agree to these terms before gaining posting privileges. You reserve the right to not post on Apple Discussions should you disagree with these terms.

Sometimes you have comments or concerns for which there is no technical response. If you need the kind of help that a troubleshooting expert can't provide, you can call Apple's Customer Relations group.

PC to MAC.. now going Back... sad sad...

Dude, i'll be honest. I came to these forums in anticipation of buying a mac and checking them out. Having said that, i'm not so sure anymore. It sounds to me, from all the posts i've been reading here, the iMac g5 and the powermacs are lemons. I would be lying if I told you that i'm not skeptical of purchasing a mac now. I'll be . . . . if I drop 3 thousand bones on a machine that ends up being a pile of junk. For real. I might take my money and build yet another PC.

And as for your post being removed, that's bunk too. It's forum fascism, man. I don't care if people there are mac-heads or not, a lemon is still a lemon, and you should be able to express your distain of apple if you have a legitimate beef. That's my two cents anyway. And If they don't like it, they can take the two cents and use it to buy a life or something.

The customer is always right. It isn't like PC/Macs are cheap. We pay good money for them and the least they can do is make sure to sell us quality merchandise. But I do think I know what the problem is though. I think there has been a spike in apple sells recently due to the popularity of the iPod and the mac mini. The same thing is happening to them that happened to alienware after they got real popular. The more business they get and the more units they have to sell, the lower the product quality is. It's a case of quality suffering because the demand is so high. But seriously though, i'm surprised apple isn't recalling their iMac g5s. Seems to me that an unusually large number of people are having problems.

OP
K

Kokopelli

Well I can not address your confidence issues (in the hardware, not yourself) but do you mind if I as a few questions?

You are running a power Mac, 10.3.8? Have you tried running it with just the base system installed? If you still have these problems with only the OS Apple will have a much harder time arguing that it is a software issue.

Next, under System Preferences => Energy Saver, try setting processor performance to "highest." This is reported to reduce the fan issue in Power Macs, something about the fan sensitivity being set higher in 10.3.8. This is somewhat moot since you are likely to still have crshes but it can't hurt.

Beyond this I would suggest writing a letter (snail mail) explaining that you puchased the Power Mac and have spent an inordinate amount of your time trying to decipher an issue with their hardware or OS. (This is why I say see if it is reproducable on base OS X.) That the technical support has been ineffective and after having spent weeks trying to decipher the problem are now saying it is too late to return it, yet the machine never worked in the first place. While there is a place for raising cane i would try other methods first outside of support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Trioxen: Did you notice that the thread you quoted was posted in 11/10/2003?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No specs yet
I didn't realise it. But the date really isn't relevent. The guy still got screwed, PERIOD. I might have been born at NIGHT, but I wasn't born LAST night either. Doesn't take a quantum physicist to figure that out.

We pay good money for our PC/Macs (I have about $4000 put into mine). The least they can do it sell us quality products. A lemon is still a lemon, whether it's 2003 or 2005.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No specs yet
Kokopelli said:
Heh, need to learn to look at dates... Necropsy is bad.

Heh, and you need to learn how to talk to somebody appropriately. I'm not your boy. So spare me your smart mouth comments.

You dig?

OP
K

Kokopelli

245_Trioxin said:
Heh, and you need to learn how to talk to somebody appropriately. I'm not your boy and i'm not your <CENSORED/> either. So spare me your smart mouth comments.

You dig?

Would you care to explain that?

1) I was referring to my own post not yours when it comes to checking dates and you are not the one who resurrected the thread so the necro comment is not directed at you either. Nor, for that matter, did I in any way insinuate that I was referring to your post in any way.

2) I never called you my boy, my stud muffin, my hero, or my Sharona. Point in fact I never referred to you at all.

3) Would you care to explain what was inappropriate, offensive, and or rude? I truly am mystified.

I don't want to hurt your feelings but I don't see what set you off. Especially since you were neither the one who resurrected the thread nor the one under discussion in my post.

EDIT: Edited to comply with forum rules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Please be aware that profanity, even when masked with "*" or ".", is not allowed on this board.

Please read the Forum Rules if you have questions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.