iMac Startup Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2008 MacBook, 13.3/2.4GHz/2x1GB/Originally 160GB Upgraded to 250GB/SD-DL
One of my friends has an iMac G5 and is having problems starting their Mac up. When they press the power button to turn it on, she encounters a grey screen with an apple logo with vertical lines akin to this:
photo+5.JPG
Image source: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EDFqRcmDYac/TTq8o_Av2JI/AAAAAAAAAgo/v3SES9ECOcY/s1600/photo+5.JPG

She then presses the power button again and the computer turns off. She turns it on again and the same thing happens: the grey apple logo screen with vertical lines.

What could be the problem? Are there any solutions or would it be better if she bought a new iMac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Probably a defective graphics card in the G5. Can't tell for sure, but she can find out easy enough by taking a screen shot of the desktop. If the lines show up in the screen shot, it's very likely a bad graphics card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.