How to upgrade OS from 10.4.11 without buying new computer

Reaction score
I have a nice Macbook that does everything I need it to do and is in great condition. Thing is, I'm running into problems only being on OSX 10.4.11 and I'd like to upgrade to a more current OS without having to actually buy a new computer. Can anyone provide some insight on how to do this and where to get the OS from (Apple Store, eBay, etc.)? THanks!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have a nice Macbook that does everything I need it to do and is in great condition. Thing is, I'm running into problems only being on OSX 10.4.11 and I'd like to upgrade to a more current OS without having to actually buy a new computer. Can anyone provide some insight on how to do this and where to get the OS from (Apple Store, eBay, etc.)? THanks!

Post back with your Mac specs and we will be happy to recommend some alternatives.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

No one ever said you had to buy a new computer to upgrade the OS....I least I hope no one has told you that!;)

Assuming your MacBook has a core 2 duo cpu...you can upgrade to any newer OS Apple has to offer.

You can upgrade to:

- OS 10.5 "Leopard" (e-Bay & sometimes Craig's List)
- OS 10.6 "Snow Leopard" (Apple Store: 3-5 days, or e-Bay)
- OS 10.7 "Lion" (Apple: "Mac App Store"). But to upgrade to Lion you must have OS 10.6.6 or later installed to access the "Mac App Store" in order to download "Lion".

Review your needs, review the apps you have & what OS versions they are compatible with...then make your decision on which OS to upgrade to.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GHz Processor
160GB Hard drive
2 GB Memory

Need anything else? Thanks!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GHz Processor
160GB Hard drive
2 GB Memory

Need anything else? Thanks!

Based on your specs, you can upgrade to any OS including the latest OS 10.7 Lion. You may want to consider a RAM upgrade but all else should be good to go.
Also, give a careful read to Nick's post, because APP compatibility could be an issue with Lion.

EDIT: Honestly, I would start here $29 upgrade
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MTM3NDgwNzM

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks guys! So what's the process of installing a new OS? I'm assuming I may need to run a wipe of my current machine, install new OS, and then re-install all my software? I've never upgraded an OS on a machine before! In the past I always just bought a new computer.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys! So what's the process of installing a new OS? I'm assuming I may need to run a wipe of my current machine, install new OS, and then re-install all my software? I've never upgraded an OS on a machine before! In the past I always just bought a new computer.

You boot from the OS disk (hold down C or Option key during power up) choose Disk Utility and you can reformat if you want to do a clean install. You don't have to erase though if you don't wish to. You can install without losing your data and settings (I would HIGHLY recommend doing a backup of your data first just in case--but of course you have been backing up all along anyway ;) ).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3910

OP
R
Reaction score
I've heard Microsoft Office doesn't work on Lion so I'm considering Snow Leopard (10.6). I assume I can buy this without having to already own Leopard (10.5)? Description on the Apple site is a bit vague.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've heard Microsoft Office doesn't work on Lion so I'm considering Snow Leopard (10.6). I assume I can buy this without having to already own Leopard (10.5)? Description on the Apple site is a bit vague.

I am vague on the legal technicalities, but I do know that the $29 disk is a full OS and will install as is on Intel Macs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm assuming I may need to run a wipe of my current machine, install new OS, and then re-install all my software?

Nope...you don't have to do this if you don't want to.

Also (as I advised above)...you NEED to verify what OS versions your software is compatible with FIRST...BEFORE deciding on which OS to upgrade to.

Currently your programs are compatible with OS 10.4.11 (remembering that OS 10.4 was discontinued 4 years ago). So depending on the age & versions of this software you have:

- they could be incompatible with OS 10.5
- there's a good possibility they're NOT compatible with OS 10.6
- and I'm willing to bet that almost all of them will not be compatible with OS 10.7.

This is why I'm saying...do your research BEFORE deciding on an OS upgrade...otherwise you may have to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to upgrade all of your software.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Office 2011 works great on Lion, and an update was released last week by Microsoft to make Office 2008 compatible with Lion.

Reaction score
About to upgrade and have important questions

Hello! Learned much from your previous posts - thank you for that info.
1. HOW does one verify what OS versions our software is compatible with before upgrading? [I have Tiger ].
2. Some sites say that Tiger can upgrade directly to SL for $29 and many individuals have blogged that they were successful in doing so [rather than buying box set for $169]. Can/should this be done?

Thank you so very much!
Michelle

Nope...you don't have to do this if you don't want to.

Also (as I advised above)...you NEED to verify what OS versions your software is compatible with FIRST...BEFORE deciding on which OS to upgrade to.

Currently your programs are compatible with OS 10.4.11 (remembering that OS 10.4 was discontinued 4 years ago). So depending on the age & versions of this software you have:

- they could be incompatible with OS 10.5
- there's a good possibility they're NOT compatible with OS 10.6
- and I'm willing to bet that almost all of them will not be compatible with OS 10.7.

This is why I'm saying...do your research BEFORE deciding on an OS upgrade...otherwise you may have to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to upgrade all of your software.

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Read this and check to see if your system meets the minimum specs for the OS version you are interested in.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...49-what-os-disk-do-i-need-brief-overview.html

As far as compatibility with the OS versions, there really isn't a good substitute for checking with the Software developer for each APP you are using to see if there are compatibility issues with upgrading to an new OS.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello! Learned much from your previous posts - thank you for that info.
1. HOW does one verify what OS versions our software is compatible with before upgrading? [I have Tiger ].

What you need to do BEFORE upgrading the OS on a computer is:

1. Make a list of the applications you have installed on your computer (applications that YOU installed other than the applications that came with the OS).
2. Identify EXACTLY what version these applications are.
3. Determine what OS version you want to upgrade to.
4 Then find out if EACH application is compatible with that OS version.

Compatibility meaning:

- the app. is compatible as is (nothing extra is required).
- the app. needs to be updated (via a free updater from the manufacturer/author of the app.)
- the app. needs an upgrade (need to purchase a newer version of the app.).

5. Compatibility can be determined individually (app. by app.) by doing internet searches. Or if you're lucky...there are websites that compile lists of apps...and then communicate whether the app. is compatible (or not) with the specific OS version of interest.

So for example...if someone wanted to upgrade to OS 10.6 Snow Leopard...here's a Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) compatibility list:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard compatibility table - Snow Leopard Compatibility

HTH,:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.