PowerPoint Package command in Office

Reaction score
Windows versions of Office PowerPoint have either a "Package" or "Publish" command that copies a powerpoint slide presentation, with embedded videos, the video files and updates the links so that the presentation works at its new location.

The commands don't exist in Office 2011 for Macintosh. Office for Dummies, by Gordon, says it does - but the words "package" or "publish" are not listed as options in the "Save as - Format" dialogue box.

Does anyone have a proven solution?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If I remember correctly, the new Office Open XML format (default format in 2008/2011) defaults to bundling everything in with the file. I just tried it here. A blank PPTX was a few KB, added a video, resaved it and it was about 7MB (the video file was 6.8MB).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Van is correct. I have a PPTX (Office 2011) which consists of 51 slides loaded with graphics, charts, cells, etc. Everything is bundled in a 1.2 MB package. The "save" command does that automatically.

I'll try to run a test of the same PPTX on my Windows machine at my work Office which has MS Office 2010 installed and see what it says.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As an aside, I went ahead and removed your email address from your post (for your sake). It's unwise to publish your email everywhere - spammers will find it. ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Van. Did you try and run the video you tested? To test the recreation of the links? I haven't had a chance to do this myself, but will do so today.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just moved a presentation I'm working on to the Desktop and it worked no problem. Admittedly I didn't move it to a different machine but the Desktop contained none of the media files (I hate clutter on my Desktop).

OP
M
Reaction score
Nope - it does not work

I just "saved as" a powerpoint with embedded videos (this means a video file that is linked to a graphic on a slide, with accompanying audio) on a new CD. Burned it, and then tried to play it on a different MacBook. The briefing is there, slides are accurate - but the links are broken and the embedded videos and audio files did not go with the brief. So, when I click on the video icon I get a "Media not found" message.

That was the purpose of the "Package" command on earlier versions, and now the "Publish" command on Office 2011. It bundled all the supporting media files, and re-established the links in the new destination.

So- anybody got any other ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.