MacPro G5 2.6 2007 model A1186 airport card conflicting information.

Reaction score
Hi all. I've recently acquired the above stated MacPro G5 and I'd like to get the proper Airport card for it. I'm getting conflicting information regarding what Airport card I'd need and how much they are.

Specs:
Model Family: Mac Pro
Processor(s): 2.6GHz Intel Xeon Dual-core 5150
Base Memory: 1GB PC2-5300 DIMM
Brand: Apple
Wireless: Optional
Color(s): Aluminum
Original OS: Mac OS X 10.4.7
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT (256MB)
Base Storage: 250GB 7200RPM SATA 3.5"
Optical Drive: 6x DL Superdrive

Model Number: A1186
Sales Number(s): MA356LL/A
Machine Number(s): MacPro1,1
Dimensions: 20.1 in x 8.1 in x 18.7 in
Weight: 42.4 lb
Production: Aug 7, 2006 - Jan 8, 2008
Factory: USA
Production Year: 2007
Production Week: 09 (February)
Production Number: 2483

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Chris

OP
D
Reaction score
I saw that, thanks. But, I'm looking for the proper Airport card specifically, though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I saw that, thanks. But, I'm looking for the proper Airport card specifically, though.

This is a "proper" Airport card. "Proper" meaning it will fit and operate as it should.

If you REALLY have to have the original airport card (which will not be any better than than the product I linked above)...check e-Bay. I'm sure there's tons of them there.:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
No, you're 100% right and I'm not arguing, that card would work like a champ I'm sure, I just don't think I'd be able to find one locally and I'd really like to get it up and running tonight, y'know? Shiny new toy and all that. With all the Mac stores we have available, I just thought it'd be easier to find one of those for a reasonable price. This may not be the case after all, though. Even though the machines themselves haven't retained their value, the parts still seem pretty astronomical.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I just don't think I'd be able to find one locally and I'd really like to get it up and running tonight...

You never mentioned in your original post that you wanted/needed to source one of these cards locally!;)

With all the Mac stores we have available, I just thought it'd be easier to find one of those for a reasonable price.

Have you actually contacted a local Apple Store? They may or may not have it. If it's the same Airport card used in current Mac Pro's they may have it. But generally speaking..."Service Parts" like this the Apple Store does not sell directly to the public.

Welcome to the world of Macintosh computers. You cannot just go to a local store & get parts for them like you can for the average "Windows" computer.

Even though the machines themselves haven't retained their value, the parts still seem pretty astronomical.

Actually this is not really a correct statement. The Mac Pro you have is between 3-5 years old. How many Windows desktop computers are still worth $800-$1000 dollars after 3-5 years??

As far as the cost for parts...yes they can be pricey...but that's just the way it is...and has always been. That's why you shop e-Bay for slightly better prices.

Believe me...I've been doing this sort of thing for wayyy too long. Your best bet is to shop on the internet...find what you need...buy it...and be patient for it to arrive. You're pretty much NOT going to find an Airport card locally TODAY for your Mac Pro...unless you get REALLY REALLY lucky...and someone is selling one on your local Craig's List.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been back and forth with a local shop and I'm waiting for their reply after giving them the serial number. They initially said they have them, then they said what they had isn't compatible, and now they're looking into it further. Update: they'd have to order one and said I'd be able find one cheaper online. Cool.

I've never tried to upgrade any of my Macs. Mostly because I've never needed to, so this is definitely a first. I didn't think most parts would be easily accessible, but network cards and RAM and the like, I kinda figured would be. And, I guess most of it is, but the Dual-core G5s seem to have used different parts over the 2006-2008 production period which is making it more difficult.

Regarding the value retention: all the research I've done on my particular model values it at right around $350 dollars. Considering it was $2000 new 3 years ago when we got them, I consider that a rather large drop. That said, I'm no professional, so I'll definitely take your word for it. :)

I'm sure you're right about not finding one today, but again, when I initially asked, I wasn't even entirely sure what I was looking for. Got it now, though. Thanks, Nick!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never tried to upgrade any of my Macs. Mostly because I've never needed to, so this is definitely a first. I didn't think most parts would be easily accessible, but network cards and RAM and the like, I kinda figured would be. And, I guess most of it is, but the Dual-core G5s seem to have used different parts over the 2006-2008 production period which is making it more difficult.

Regarding the value retention: all the research I've done on my particular model values it at right around $350 dollars. Considering it was $2000 new 3 years ago when we got them, I consider that a rather large drop. That said, I'm no professional, so I'll definitely take your word for it. :)

Yeah...I meant to mention something about this. You're misidentifying your computer.

There were Powermac G5's...and there were/are Mac Pro's. You're calling your computer a "Mac Pro G5"...and there NEVER was such an "animal"!;) Thus you either have a Powermac G5 or a 1st generation Mac Pro.

From the info you provided above...you DEFINITELY have a Mac Pro because it has a "Xeon Intel cpu". Powermac G5's DO NOT have an Intel cpu.

The $350 value you mentioned does "mostly" correspond to the value of a Powermac G5...but would be wayyy too low for a 1st generation Mac Pro. 1st gen. Mac Pro's are worth $800-$1000...with some adjustments for upgrades.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. FYI...Powermac G5's and Mac Pro's (externally speaking) look almost identical.

OP
D
Reaction score
Wow. Yeah, I had no idea they were two different things. All good information. You've been a great help, dude. I thank you again. Is my Mac Pro worth that much more simply because it's 1st gen?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is my Mac Pro worth that much more simply because it's 1st gen?

Hardly!;) If you mean is it worth "that much more" compared to a Powermac G5. Well...a Powermac G5 and a 1st gen. Mac Pro are VERY different computers. Thus an older Powermac G5 is worth around $350 (actually many Powermac G5's are worth more like $250)...and a 1st gen. Mac Pro is worth $800-$1000.

It's worth $800-$1000 because that's what it's currently worth (just like most things). 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generation Mac Pros are worth more, and much more in some cases (since they're newer).

Good luck with the airport card. Having wireless networking (to me) is almost a necessity...rather than a luxury.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.