Sigh....Is Windows (Outlook) better than Mac (Mail)?

Reaction score
So, I've been using Outlook Tasks on my PC, which is great because it'll pop up Task notifications and allow me to snooze them or dismiss them.

But, Mac Mail doesn't have a Task feature at all! I've also seen other Task-type software out there to install on the Mac, but they don't have the same functionality as Task notifications on Outlook.

For example, one of my Outlook Task notifications is a daily meditation/mantra of 5 sentences. In Outlook, the Task popup shows the whole mantra. But on the Task apps I've downloaded for my Mac, it'll only show the first line or two.

Here's a pic of something similar (4 bullet points, not the same as my 5 sentence mantra, but you get the idea being able to show the entire Task, and not just one or two lines of the Task like a preview.)

002-02-outlook-task2.jpg

Is there anything out there that can do this for my Mac?

OP
O
Reaction score
And Mail's "To Do" functionality doesn't work for you because ...

because...Mail's "To Do" only shows a small 1-2 line blurb/preview in the pop-up and not the whole entire "To Do" message/content.

See the picture in my first post to understand what I'm going for...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you tried Outlook for Mac? Here's a screenshot of what it can do (I don't use it so I'll let it speak for itself):

Screen Shot 2011-09-22 at 10.33.01 AM.png

MS has a trial of Office available if you're interested (see here).

OP
O
Reaction score
Have you tried Outlook for Mac? Here's a screenshot of what it can do (I don't use it so I'll let it speak for itself):

MS has a trial of Office available if you're interested (see here).

Yea, I familiar with Outlook for Mac. I wanted to avoid having to shell out the bucks for that and was looking for a Mac only Task application/software.

Have you tried iCal?

I use iCal, but it's the same thing in terms of showing a small blurb/preview instead of the entire message itself.

I know I'm nit-picking a bit here, but I'm just amazed that for all of the bloat of the MS Office/Outlook software, there's no Mac specific application/software that can replicate the simple function of showing the entire Task message in a pop-up notification like MS Outlook can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sigh use what you wish it is a free world.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Have you checked the App store? There are quite a few dedicated apps for tasks, to-do's, etc. You may find something that matches your requirements there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.7 i5 + MBP 13" 2.26 (2009) + IPad + iPhone
For my pennyworth. Hate as I do to admit it Office is a better all-round commercial solution particularly if your connecting to MS Exchange.

Reaction score
Yea, I familiar with Outlook for Mac. I wanted to avoid having to shell out the bucks for that and was looking for a Mac only Task application/software.

Buuuut... you would have to pay on Windows to get Office with the sort of functionality you are looking for. Now you are looking for something you pay for on Windows and want the same on a Mac for free? Hum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I find this funny since I hate when Outlook pops up the whole Window vice just the reminder on my work PC. Heat it.

OP
O
Reaction score
Buuuut... you would have to pay on Windows to get Office with the sort of functionality you are looking for. Now you are looking for something you pay for on Windows and want the same on a Mac for free? Hum

You misunderstood, I have no problems with spending money for good software, whether it be for a PC or a Mac. I was hoping to spend money for Mac specific software, rather than feeding the MS machine. I'm just surprised that for this "simple" function of a full Task pop-up notification, there's nothing out there in the Mac software world that is similar to MS Outlook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I know a lot of Mac users say that Mail is an outstanding email app that comes free from Apple but, IMHO, it is horribly flawed for my needs and don't use it at all anymore. I'm purchasing the $19 MS Office 2011 full bundle for U.S. Gov't employees than dealing with Mail again. :Grimmace:

Honestly dude, if you are used to and prefer MS Outlook's way of task notification, then purchase it and stick with what's confortable for you.

OP
O
Reaction score
I know a lot of Mac users say that Mail is an outstanding email app that comes free from Apple but, IMHO, it is horribly flawed for my needs and don't use it at all anymore. I'm purchasing the $19 MS Office 2011 full bundle for U.S. Gov't employees than dealing with Mail again. :Grimmace:

Honestly dude, if you are used to and prefer MS Outlook's way of task notification, then purchase it and stick with what's confortable for you.

Well I'm headed in that direction. Most of the apps I've seen out there, just can't compete with MS. I'm really looking for seamless integration with the calendar and the bottom line- Outlook is just much better than Mac Mail for this functionality.

I've also starting looking into using a Google Calendar extension (they have desktop pop-notifications) with my Chrome Browser on my iMac. Google (e.g., Android) is basically gonna take over the world anyways...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.