Master password for Safari

Reaction score
Have a preference for Firefox...don't really know why. I started using Safari just for a change of scenery and noticed that there is no master password option, which I am quite fond of in Safari.

Nothing on the forums turned up in my searches.
My Google searches only came up with some plug-ins for Safari which cost money.

Are there any solutions out there people are using?

I just have this picture of someone using my MBP (say it's in for repair...or I let someone use it for a while in my house) and they get to pry into all my secret stuff because there is no master password.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure I understand what you mean by a master password for Safari? If you allow someone to use your machine or it's stolen then all your data is up for grabs unless you protect it.

If you're worried about someone seeing which web sites you frequent, (bookmarks) don't let them use the machine or just use FileVault or another program. As far as allowing some to use the machine, setup a guest account and let them log into that instead of the admin account.

Taking the machine in for repair is another matter. If you have sensitive info on the hard drive, remove it before bringing it in. If that's not possible, you'll just have to trust the repair folks.

Reaction score
You can password protect the whole computer if you want.

That way no one can access anything.

Go to "System Preferences."

OP
T
Reaction score
On Firefox you can have a Master Password that must be entered before any automatic sign-ins are completed, such as for email. If you just cancel out of entering the password then automatic sign-ins are ignored.

I guess Safari just does not offer that as an option. Found a plug-in for $50, which seems very steep.

Just something I have to live with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Um, no it does have that feature but it's very hidden.
Safari stores it's autofill info in the Macs Login Keychain, so if you disable these features it will ask you for you user account password:

Open the "Keychain Access" application in the Utilities folder, go to the preferences and click into the "First Aid" Tab, and uncheck "Keep login keychain unlocked"

If it's not in the First Aid Tab, then look around. Things may have changed from Snow Leopard to Lion.

AND:
In the edit menu select "Change settings for Keychain "Login""
Enable "Lock after X mins" and "Lock when sleeping"

Reaction score
I know I'm posting to an old thread but...

The original question was if Safari had, in an of itself, a master password like the one built into Firefox. The responses submitted did not answer the question in part because those who responded did not know what the original poster was talking about.

Firefox has a master password feature that is activated each time you open Firefox and deactivated each time you close the program. When you open Firefox for the first time that day... and then go to a web page requiring a username and password, Firefox will open a dialog box that asks you for your unique Firefox password (not your system password). Once entered, and as long as you do not QUIT Firefox, you do not have to enter any more passwords. Once you quit the program, (let's say you want to leave your computer running and drive off to the store) if someone goes on your computer, reopens Firefox and goes to one of your password protected web sites, Firefox will again ask for it's master password and not allow access to the site until it gets it.

It is a secondary level of protection for those of us who always leave our computer running.
I leave my computer running for a week or two when I travel in case I need to access it remotely. It's nice to know that I can simply quit Firefox before I leave and if someone breaks in and starts snooping, they can't get into any of my password protected accounts.

So... does Safari have anything like this???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
So, no.

Safari as I said stores it's password data in the Mac OS Keychain Application, whereas Firefox has it's own password database.
This keychain is automatically locked when you logout, or when you have it set to lock when you put the machine to sleep.
In this case, Apple has decided that you computer is only secure when it is logged out, or shutdown. (Which is true, I don't want to think what could be done with my countless unsecured emails floating about in my system's email folder if someone had access to it)

I myself don't have Firefox or Safari bother to remember anything. Everything on my Machines gets store in 1Password and I can access the 1Password data on 4 different browsers and autofill it with a simple 2 key combination.
And then I have 1Password set so that it requires re-entering the master password after quitting any browser.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have heard good things about 1Password and think it would solve most issues I have.:D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 for 1Password. It's a must have especially nowadays when it seems like everything is being done (pay bills, banking, etc) on the net.

Reaction score
No Master Password for Safari :(

Safari does not have a Master Password as discussed. Users would be able to open up Safari and log into your accounts (assuming you either don't have a computer password to start-up your device or they figured it out), but if they go into Safari Internet Preferences to see what the passwords are, it will require you to type in your system password if you have one so at least there's a slight security there, so they can log into your accounts but they are not able to see what the passwords are without the system password. I wish apple could get there act together for creating a Master Password in their web browser like there competitors I prefer not to have to download additional applications for a simple solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think they worked that out from three years ago!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
A number of password terms have been used in this thread: system password, 1 password and master password.

I have 2 questions

First I have my iMac as well as other devices set to require a password to be entered after a set period of inactivity. It's the same password I have to use to see login passwords in Safari. I think that is a system password so what is 1 password?

Second. Is there somewhere wifi passwords stored on iPhones & iPads can be found?

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.