Superdrive DOES not mount or recognize ANY DVD/Install DVD

R

robe12t

Hello All,

I purchased a retail version of Tiger and have been trying to install it all weekend. My superdrive is the original pioneer drive that came with my dual 1.25 G4 (mirrored doors). At first the dvd would be recognized and then ask me to restart in order to start the installation. I read about updating your firmware etc..etc.. i did that as well as updating the superdrive firmware via apple.com. The first problem was i would restart and then get the little computer one boot up switching between that and a question mark. I then ran into the problem of not being able to eject the cd with the eject button on the keyboard. I now go to system profiler and can see the burner installed but its under atapi and doesnt show the traditional CD drive pull down menu. It's in there but not being recognized! I bought a laser cleaner but have not been able to try. I know a lot of people have ran into similar problems... where should i take this now? any ideas or solutions?!?!?! thanks!

Reaction score
Sounds like a driver issue. Try installing Patchburn and see what happens.

ed724

OP
R

robe12t

Patchburn Help

ed724 said:
Sounds like a driver issue. Try installing Patchburn and see what happens.

ed724

I downloaded Patchburn for OS X and had no luck. The cd drive is not being recognized on the system profile. Anybody having this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
robe12t said:
I read about updating your firmware etc..etc.. i did that as well as updating the superdrive firmware via apple.com.

Did you upgrade the computer firmware (I think it's located on the logic board) as well? That is where the computer needs the instructions for booting from DVD/CD's.

OP
R

robe12t

Update

IanCT said:
Did you upgrade the computer firmware (I think it's located on the logic board) as well? That is where the computer needs the instructions for booting from DVD/CD's.

I believe i got all the firmware updates. where would those be or what would they be called? just to be sure i did those. Thanks!

Still no luck, the drive wont open at all and is not recognized.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.