Poor Mac Quality?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
Is it just me, or have this years Mac's been of poorer quality? I've talked to several people who have bought Mac's this summer and they are all apple newbies and they are all not entirely satisfied. One girl went through 3 MacBook Pro's in a month, my cousin went through 1 MacBook Pro, and several others around here have been complaining too. Has anyone else noticed this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If time has taught me anything its that I have seen failed products from every mfg.
But as a general rule Apple usually has very good product control.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
I understand that when you make some 7 million MBP's that there will be some that don't work. It's just disheartening to see people you know have so many issue's with a company that you really like and have personally seen how awesome the build quality is and how well they work.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is it just me, or have this years Mac's been of poorer quality? I've talked to several people who have bought Mac's this summer and they are all apple newbies and they are all not entirely satisfied. One girl went through 3 MacBook Pro's in a month, my cousin went through 1 MacBook Pro, and several others around here have been complaining too. Has anyone else noticed this?

I'll present two thoughts to consider:

- speaking casually with "several people" does not make an official statistical survey.

- many many people like to complain. There very well may be 100's of things that these "several people" love about their Mac's. But if there's just one thing that they don't like...that's the one thing that they will focus on...ignoring everything positive.

- Nick

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Who knows - it's certainly not in Apple's best interest so I'd expect them to quickly remedy any production issues if they're actually having any. It's probably more likely that as Apple's sales have increased exponentially - the likelihood of you knowing someone who ran into a problem significantly increases as well.

It's a fickle industry - I'd expect Apple to keep a very close eye on quality.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'll give you my results from a survey of one (me). Hardware quality of the Apple products I have bought is somewhat higher overall, but not to the extent it would justify the price differential on that alone.
On the otherhand, customer support when I have had problems is like nothing I have ever had on any other product line. I know some have not experienced the same level of customer support that I have, but this is my survey.

Bottomline: I expect to occasionally run into problems with anything I purchase; what seals the deal for me on future purchases is how the supplier responds to those problems. That is why Apple and Amazon are my two go-to places for buying anything.
If I want it I check with them first and unless I am looking at an exceptional deal (a real one) I buy without blinking an eye, because I know they stand behind what they sell.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

"People tend to be very vocal when they have problems. >_>""

-CR

Quoting myself. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If they do have a bad run you can sure bet the websites that constantly look for a reason to bash Apple will be all over it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.