BackUp a Glitchy OSX?

Reaction score
Hi,

I may have stupidly ruined my OS by installing MacKeeper.
Since running this program, Text Edit crashes, Spotlight continually indexes, and worst of all typing text is excruciatingly slow.

I have a backup of my important files on a HD and just raced out to buy another HD to backup again.

Q: Should i backup using this glitchy system? I have new files since last backup and don't know what the best answer is?

I want to run maintenance but need to back up first. Do you think installing Lion could solve my issues? Apart from uninstalling MacKeeper.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 2.4GHz i5
Message sent from trusty G4 1.6GHz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What OS are you running now ??
First would be to uninstall MacKeeper using this MacKeeper Uninstalling Tool
Uninstall MacKeeper | [Fix-KB].
Once you have done that then repair permissions via Disk Utility or for a better option dl either Download MainMenu 1.7.4 Free Free (don't update or you will pay) or Oynx (make sure you get the one compatible to your OS) and give your system a good cleaning. I prefer and bought MainMenu.
Once done restart and see how you have gone. Then and only then if the problem persists would i do a clean install of Lion.

HTH

Cheers

EDIT : To answer your initial query, i would do all this before doing a backup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Best of luck with the removal as there are many, many complaints the uninstaller does not fully eliminate this crapware. Have a look at this link for other suggestions on removing files deliberately left behind when the uninstaller is run:-

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2786697?start=0&tstart=0

OP
M
Reaction score
Thankyou... I'm running 10.6.8

In the process of cleaning. Will let you know how i go.

OP
M
Reaction score
No luck. Still crashing programs, Kernel_task taking up CPU, spotlight continually indexing, text typing extremely slow.

Applespell continually crashing in console.

I'm afraid i'm about to manually remove files i need and reboot Snow Leopard.

Can't believe this. Mac has always been so good. I guess this happens when they try to market the masses.

Why don't any of these cleanup/maintenance programs find this glitch??

Arrgghh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No luck. Still crashing programs, Kernel_task taking up CPU, spotlight continually indexing, text typing extremely slow.

Applespell continually crashing in console.

I'm afraid i'm about to manually remove files i need and reboot Snow Leopard.

Can't believe this. Mac has always been so good. I guess this happens when they try to market the masses.

Why don't any of these cleanup/maintenance programs find this glitch??

Arrgghh

Hang on don't go blaming  for downloading MacKeeper and screwing your system up. It has nothing to do with marketing the masses.
If you google MacKeeper problems you will see what sort of damage it does to a Mac. and because of the crap piece of code it is, even the best of the cleanup Apps wouldn't fix it.
Google MacKeeper and OS reinstall and you will see that the MASSES where conned by these rouge developers . . . Its a mean terrible crappy piece of code that needs to be burnt beyond belief.

NOW is the time to install Lion.
I would be backing up what you can and the most important stuff then do a CLEAN install of lion and all your troubles will be gone. I can't guarantee that if you did a Archive and Install (which is by default now) that MacKeeper will be gone forever so the next best thing it to do a clean one.
Sorry to come across a bit harsh but its got nothing to do with 

HTH

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.