WD HDD Network Question

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a question regarding my external HDD.

I have a Western Digital 2TB Elements HDD. I use this HDD for storage on my Imac and also plug it into my WD TV Live box and watch movies on my TV.

I got sick of moving the HDD and cords back and forth between the TV and Imac, so I wanted to leave the HDD plugged into my Imac and connect the WD TV Live box to the HDD wirelessly. I spent hundreds on multiple Wifi adaptors that I plugged into my WD TV Live box only to find they were not compatible. I then also realized that for this set up to work, my computer would need to be switched on whenever I wanted to watch movies.

Now I am wondering, what is the best way to go about doing this. I am wondering whether it is possible to plug my HDD into a router and connect the WD TV Live to the router? This would mean only the router would need to be on and not the computer in order for the WD TV Box to connect to it. Is that correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Get an TV.

$100 problem solved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.