Macbook Pro Battery/Charging Issue - Can't figure it out!

Reaction score
I have a late 2008 Macbook "Pro" (not yet labeled Pro but it's the 2.4 Ghz version) that won't charge the battery. It is a brand-new battery with one charge. It was not aftermarket but was an Apple Replacement. Under specs it says "Battery Installed: Yes." then "Charging: No" under the AC info. Please help!

Here's the deal:

- Computer is fully functional (minus this issue, obviously, so I guess "fully" functional is in the eyes of the beholder).

- Runs off battery but will not charge the battery

- Will not run off of AC alone as it appears it does not recognize the charger. It will not start with just the AC adapter plugged in.

Here's what I've tried (in no particular order):

- Tried three different chargers (that all work) * no difference

- Bought and installed a new, functional DC board * no luck

- Reset SMC * could tell the reset worked a couple times as adapter light changed but still no charge

- Reset PRAM/NVRAM what-have-you * reset works but no charging still

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only thing that's left to swap out is the logic board. And I don't think you wish to spend $400 or more for a refurbished logic board - not counting labor costs. Might be time to consider buying a new machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.