Mac OS X disk was unintentionally installed, possible problems...?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have a question for you....

I have a Macbook which I bought new in Feb this year.
I came home from work today and my boyfriend told me he'd had a clear out and thrown away my macbook box. But had found a disk in there and decided to install it- to be on the safe side.
He had infact installed the Mac OS X dvd... (grrrrrrrr)
All seems fine....I did panic thinking he had changed it back to factory settings but my question is, has he harmed the mac in any way by installing something that was essentially already installed?
Also would it have used up much memory??

Thanks!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi Guys,
I have a question for you....

I have a Macbook which I bought new in Feb this year.
I came home from work today and my boyfriend told me he'd had a clear out and thrown away my macbook box. But had found a disk in there and decided to install it- to be on the safe side.
He had infact installed the Mac OS X dvd... (grrrrrrrr)
All seems fine....I did panic thinking he had changed it back to factory settings but my question is, has he harmed the mac in any way by installing something that was essentially already installed?
Also would it have used up much memory??

Thanks!

Hopefully he kept the OS DvD after reinstalling the OS . . . it is a really good idea to keep your OS disk handy for system maintenance and repairs.

And, no, since he does not appear to have wiped your user account (I assume from your post) then no harm has probably been done. I would ask him to keep hands off in future or set him up his own user account without Admin priviledges. The decision to install just in case would definetly give me pause.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply razormac. Yup there's no hiding the fact I was fuming! Was so worried everything had been wiped but everything is the same.
The dvd's been rescued from the bin and will be kept safe...
Call me ignorant but with macs etc being so high tech, it's surely impossible to install 2 versions of the OS....? no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Call me ignorant but with macs etc being so high tech, it's surely impossible to install 2 versions of the OS....? no?

Yes sort of. You can install the same OS on the dame HD as the other OS if he Partitioned the HD before the install. So it can be done, but not just by inserting the Install DVD and clicking install

Cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
One last question..... Im going to purchase OS Lion.
Im guessing the snow leopard will be uninstalled/deleted so any worries I have about this extra instalment from last night taking up space wont matter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No.
When you install Lion it will ultimately do a Archive and Install, which means the old OS will be booted to oblivion and the new Lion OS will be put in its place. The way your Mac is now with SnowLeopard will be exactly how it will be when Lion is installed over the top. The only worries you might have is App Compatibility and you can check on them here.
App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.