Advice for a complete beginner with music software?

Reaction score
Hey I've just got my a Macbook Pro my first Apple computer and now I've got used to some of the basics on it I'd like to explore what I can get up to creatively on it!

I started playing guitar a few months ago and am really keen to get more into music but in terms of theory or making music I presently have no knowledge at all!

What I'd like to learn to do for the time being with my mac is make some music just with software on the computer itself and hopefully it will help reinforce what I intend to learn about music, but eventually I want to start creating music with my guitar and vocals etc. I have no idea where to start with learning all this music stuff though!

So basically I wanted to know if anybody had any advice on what software I should get to start playing with and also if anybody has any books about music theory and using music software they would recommend or any other ways to learn about the subject?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 27" 3.2GHz core i3. iphone 5. iPod classic 160g. macbook air 13" . apple tv.
Hi Tomdc I have only just started to learn guitar myself, I'm not sure how far into learning you are but i find that garage band is really helpful. Once that you feel comfortable playing without a tutor then i believe that that is when garage band really starts to get good. Unfortunately i haven't got to that stage as yet but can't wait .

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi Tomdc I have only just started to learn guitar myself, I'm not sure how far into learning you are but i find that garage band is really helpful. Once that you feel comfortable playing without a tutor then i believe that that is when garage band really starts to get good. Unfortunately i haven't got to that stage as yet but can't wait .

Thanks for getting back to me! Yeah I just started exploring it actually those lessons you can download through it are pretty cool! I really don't know exactly how good I am at guitar because I have no measure to judge myself aha, but I really don't think I'm very good.. YET!

I did have a tutor for a bit but now I can't afford one cos my parents paid for em when I first got the guitar.. but I seem to make some progress using justinguitar.com online and other youtube videos. Trying to learn some music theory now too cos I don't know anything about it at the moment!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 27" 3.2GHz core i3. iphone 5. iPod classic 160g. macbook air 13" . apple tv.
ok well it seems that you have found out a few things about garage band already so good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.