Can I upgrade my CPU?

Reaction score
Hi all! I am doing upgrades to my late 2008 aluminum MacBook with 2.0 ghz CPU and I just upgraded to 500gb seagate xt hard drive and I'm going to 4gb of ram and now I want to try to upgrade my CPU. Is this possible? What should I upgrade to?

OP
V
Reaction score

Thank you for the informative answer... Is it because it's soldered? or because it's model number is programmed in? if it's soldered can I put in a new logic board?

On a side note... Are there any other upgrades I can do? I have the non lit keyboard... can I put a lit one in?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you for the informative answer...

The answer was brief...because that's the way it is. Your question only asked it if was possible...you didn't ask why!;)

Is it because it's soldered?

Yes.

You might also consider...how many Windows-based laptops have an upgradeable cpu? As far as I know...not many. Thus it shouldn't come as a surprise that Mac laptop cpu's (from at least the last 8-10 years) cannot be upgraded either.

...if it's soldered can I put in a new logic board?

I cannot say 100%. But Apple is constantly changing the shape of logic boards...and changes the ports very often. So one big problem with a logic board swap is simply that it won't fit...and the wiring/cables/sockets/plugs will not line up or fit properly either.

On a side note... Are there any other upgrades I can do?

The most common upgrades are ram & hard drive.

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Yes...I would say there is the possibility if multiple models of the same exact laptop were released at about the same time (with just cpu speed differences)...that it may be possible to do a logic board swap.

But this can be a VERY expensive & risky project...since I think that you'll find very few if any references on the internet of folks successfully doing it. And do you really want to spend $699 for the 2.4ghz logic board...remembering that your 2008 2.0ghz Aluminum MacBook is probably worth between $500-$600.

Sure you might be able to get one of these logic boards cheaper on e-Bay...but I can almost guarantee you that it will cost you at least $300-$400.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.