Switching to iMac 27"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB Ram
Hey everyone! First time poster here so I look forward to learning from everyone on the site! So without further rumblings on my end, I'll get down to it!

I am currently deployed in to Iraq and I got thinking that a great "deployment" gift would be a nice upgraded video editing/gaming machine. My wife absolutely hates PC's and has informed me that if I am to upgrade it must be a Mac. So since we all know our wives are right, I had to agree :D Here is the model that I am currently looking at:

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB*
1TB Serial ATA Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR
*I'd upgrade to 16 gigs on my own

I do have a few questions though. Like I will be purchasing FCP X for my video editing software. Also, as far as gaming, I haven't gotten too wrapped up in computer gaming (used mostly my PS3) but wouldn't be against it. I'm assuming this system would be more then enough to compensate the demand either video editing or gaming would require? I would appreciate any input you all could chim in as well as I am making the switch from Adobe (PC) editing and this is all new to me.

Up until this point I have always used my XPS 400 for video editing and the little bit of gaming I have done. I can honestly say nothing bad about it but with all technology, that system is getting up there in age and needs to be updated. The software I used for editing was Premiere Elements 2.0, which I know is an older editor but I never had an issue and have gotten the most out of it then any software I have ever used before. I was looking at going with Adobe again but I cannot justify the price difference as this is a hobby and not a "career" so to speak.

Anyways, I've gotten into the rambling mode. I'll quit talking and sit back and take in any advice that anyone and everyone can pass along! I look forward to discussions!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I can't comment on gaming authoritatively since that's not something I do - but otherwise - that's a pretty sweet machine you've spec'd out that will certainly handle your video editing requirements with ease. Since you've been ordered to get a Mac ;) I don't see how you can go wrong with that one.

OP
CrazyHawk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't comment on gaming authoritatively since that's not something I do - but otherwise - that's a pretty sweet machine you've spec'd out that will certainly handle your video editing requirements with ease. Since you've been ordered to get a Mac ;) I don't see how you can go wrong with that one.

That is what I was thinking. I mean, I'd just be following my wife's "orders".....

What do you suppose the life expectancy for this machine would be?

I am excited to get back into the whole world of technology so if I ask some stupid questions...I apologize :)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
That is what I was thinking. I mean, I'd just be following my wife's "orders".....

What do you suppose the life expectancy for this machine would be?

I am excited to get back into the whole world of technology so if I ask some stupid questions...I apologize :)

That's what this forum is for - to help with those questions. No worries - ask away if you can't find what you're looking for by searching.

How long will the iMac last? I don't know. I do know that many here have had their Macs for quite some time - 4-5 years or more and still going strong. I have the same iMac you've spec'd out - and even if it lasts that long - I'm sure I'll have passed it on well before then to take advantage of whatever the next leap in performance looks like a couple of years from now. Here's an active thread from today that asks a similar question - you can take a look there for some feedback. http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/251090-how-long-does-mac-last.html

OP
CrazyHawk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would you have any other recommendations to add to this setup? I have been out of the loop for awhile now so I am clueless to any new gadgets or such that have made the video editing process easier? Or heck, just any gadgets in general that could make my Mac experience even greater!

To build onto that....how difficult would it be to link my MacBook and my "future" iMac together? I am thinking I will continue to use my MacBook as a source for my music and so forth.

Have I said I'm pretty excited to get into the "Mac World"?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
Welcome to the forum crazyhawk and stay safe in the desert.

J

OP
CrazyHawk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Few more questions here folks.

What would you recommend...would you recommend Adobe Premiere CS5.5 along with Photoshop? The way I'm thinking right now will be going with the Adobe Photoshop CS5.5 Extended (I believe that is cheaper?) and then FCP X. I know FCP X has been getting not so great reviews from the "experts" however, I'm not an expert and it would be an upgrade for me obviously since I am used to Premiere Elements 2.0.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.