Lost LAN

Reaction score
I run a LAN from a TP-Link wireless N router, connected by ethernet to a G5 Powermac tower with USB printers and an external Lacie hard drive, and by ethernet to a Devolo mains distribution LAN. I also use two laptops - an intel MacBook and a G4 iMac. This gives me, or rather gave me, full internet connectivity and full wireless connectivity between laptops, Powermac + USB printers and Lacie hard drive, until two days ago when mysteriously all contact was lost between computers. I still have internet access to all computers and I can still print wirelessly from the laptops to the printers which are connected by USB to the Powermac.

FileSharing is enabled on all computers.

I have tried with the Macbook, putting the Powermac's IP address into the server address field in Connect to Server but get the message "Connection Failed - the server may not exist or it may not be operational at this time." The same happens in the reverse situation on the Powermac.

Suggestions would be most welcome.

OP
H
Reaction score
Correction - I THOUGHT filesharing was enabled on all computers! Somehow my PowerMac's filesharing had become switched off. It wouldn't switch back on again either, until I discovered some anomalies by running Verify Disc Permissions in Disc Utility. After I had Repaired Disc Permissions I was able to start filesharing again and now all is back to normal. Small pat on back!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.