The internet doesn't use my full speed...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 9.99GHz Intel Core i7 256GB RAM 10TB HDD
I don't think the title makes any sense... :\

But here's my issue, I have iStat Menus installed and I can see network activity. When I'm downloading stuff from iTunes for example, I can see my download speed which is around 1MB/s and stuff gets downloaded relatively fast. But when I'm on YouTube, and watching a 480p video, streaming speed is around 200KB/s and when I click on 1080p, streaming speed bumps up to maybe 300KB/s and it starts to stutter. I've never seen a page or a streaming site use my full speed, it always stays around the 200-300KB/s range. But again, if I download anything or even do a Speedtest, I see my speed being 1MB/s. I know there's not much to *fix* since it probably has a lot to do with the websites I go to and not my internet connection, but I mean, even Netflix doesn't use my full speed. (When playing on the browser, there's a little box that says whether I'm playing HD or not, and I'm usually not since the speed hovers around 300KB/s as stated above) Does anyone else have this "issue"?

And yes, I know the difference between megabytes (MB) and megabits (mb), kilobytes (KB) and kilobits (kb).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.