Help! Pismo Hard Drive Swap w/ External

R

rook

i need help!! One of you mac gurus out there should be able to handle this one - or at least I hope so! Here's the scenario:

I have a Powerbook G3 Pismo and I wanted to exchange the hard drive, but I didn't want to lose all of the data (and settings) on it, so I bought a firewire enclosure for the new drive and I copied the contents of the original drive onto the new drive using Silverkeeper by Lacie. I use this PB for music recording (Logic Audio) and due to circumstances that I won't go into here, I have put a bunch of data on this external drive that I don't want to lose - plus I don't want to try and re-figure out all of the settings I have that make it work the way I need it to. I am able to use this drive as my start-up disk via firewire, but when I took out the original drive and inserted the new drive it does not register - I just get the folder with the ? thing. I am running OS 9.2.2 and I can't go to OS X b/c I have an older version of Logic (and, again, I don't want to mess with the settings to get it to run on Classic).

I have checked this forum and others hoping I could find someone who had this problem before so I wouldn't have to bug anyone about it, but I haven't had any luck.

I did ask around a bit and here is what I have tried w/out success:

1) Wait for a long time in the hope that the computer will finally get around to finding the new drive
2) Holding down the "c" key
3) Holding down the "c" key and booting from an OS 9.1 cd and then trying to re-boot it by selecting another start-up disk, but one isn't available.
4) Holding down the option key, but all I got was two symbols: an arrow going in a 3/4 circle (like refresh) and and arrow pointing right. Neither did anything.

Any suggestions? Oh, and thanks for even reading this.

Scott

Reaction score
Try resetting the Pram. I think it's CRTL, OPT, CMD, P keys on startup, you should get a startup gong, then a reset and then another start up gong.

ed724

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Try the whole process again (I assume you still have the original drive), but use Carbon Copy Cloner instead of silverkeeper. It is freeware and I'm pretty sure you can download it from www.versiontracker.com or www.macupdate.com. I think there is a tutorial for doing what you want to do on www.xlr8yourmac.com

Oh... and you should probably make sure that the volume is bootable from the enclosure before physicaly swapping them.

Good Luck!

OP
R

rook

ed724 said:
Try resetting the Pram. I think it's CRTL, OPT, CMD, P keys on startup, you should get a startup gong, then a reset and then another start up gong.

ed724

Sorry for the late reply, but I have been out of town. I tried resetting PRAM (Option+Command+R+P) by pressing those keys four times in a row (as was recommended by a site I found when I was trying to find out the actual keys for doing this since the above did not work), but all it did was give me an icon of a floppy disk with a ? inside. This is a change from the folder with a ? I was getting previously.

jhelm007 suggested this: Try the whole process again (I assume you still have the original drive), but use Carbon Copy Cloner instead of silverkeeper. It is freeware and I'm pretty sure you can download it from www.versiontracker.com or www.macupdate.com. I think there is a tutorial for doing what you want to do on www.xlr8yourmac.com

Oh... and you should probably make sure that the volume is bootable from the enclosure before physicaly swapping them.
>

However, 1) CCC is not available for OS 9, which is why I used Silverkeeper. 2) as I mentioned in my original post, I have used the drive as the start-up disk from an external enclosure, so I know it works that way. 3) I'm trying to avoid reformatting the drive again because I have info on there I want to keep.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for replying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.