Photo Backup Strategy

Reaction score
Hi

I would like advice on back up strategies for photographs. Here is how I would like to work, I would like the photo's to take up say a max of 50 GB of my MacBook Pro (bought in last 12 months) hard disk. Then I would like a backup software package, to filter off, old photo shoots / old photo's automatically, removing them from my mac book pro disk and downloading them to my backup RAID server storage device.

Is there anything out there that can do this?

What strategies do other photographer's have?

Any help appreciated......

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I use Aperture 3, which easily supports multiple Libraries. I keep most of my Libraries on external drives with backups on my NAS.

Reaction score
I've not come across any backup software that will delete the original files after back Up. The purpose is to make a duplicate for safe keeping. Deleting the original is not always a good idea.

I can understand why you want to keep those files on the MPB hard drive to a minimum. However I suspect that if you want to delete them you will have to do that yourself.

C

chas_m

iPhoto, Aperture and other programs all support multiple libraries, but you manually create those libraries. 50GB is a heck of a lot of photos, so I'd suggest making a new library every two years and just moving the old library off to an external drive (that is also of course backed up).

As for backing up itself, this is all taken care of automatically with Time Machine (or if you prefer with most third-party clone programs -- all of the ones I'm aware of have an automatic scheduling option).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.