Pop Up on Mac OS X for Windows Anti-Virus PC

Reaction score
In the last three days I've been getting a pop up when on Safari. It happens during the afternoon and the evening. The pop up comes up with some kind of warning about an Anti-Virus on Windows. Obviously I'm on a Mac.

I haven't clicked OK and I just quit Safari and restart. I searched the link in the pop-up and there's a thread on the Apple Support Community about this as well: https://discussions.apple.com/message/16192433#16192433

Anyone else having this issue? Posted a screen shot of it. Would love to get rid of this as soon as possible. Thanks!

pop-up.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Try resetting Safari and check all that apply and empty cache and you could go to preferences in Safari and make sure you have third party cookies block checked.

OP
Z
Reaction score
osxx, thanks for your reply. I did what you suggested twice yesterday but it still popped up today. Any other ideas?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Personally, I make it a point to quit visiting sites that are infected with those scams.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The only "solution" is for the web sites that have been infected with these things to clean up their site.
Most of them are not going to, as they rely on those scams to make money.

The only real solution we as end users have is to quit visiting infected sites.
Your other partial solution will be to uninstall flash and java which are both used to serve these things up. Of course, if you do that, you're going to affect your viewing experience at every other site on the web.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'll keep looking as to how to remove anything that gets installed on a system. But let me ask you this: How do you know when you're visiting a site that is infected?

What if it comes through an email or an attachment? Eventually this has to be purged out. I use ONYX frequently to clean my system, but seeing this pop up reminds me of a Windows based machine, which I have abandoned years ago.

The Mac I'm on is used primarily for graphic design and most of my web browsing is limited. Most sites I visit are programmed into the keyboard keys for easy access through the bookmarks folder.

Yet apparently this also pops up on iPads as well which is stated in the other forum I linked to in my initial post. So while we can stay away from site that are infected, that's a pretty broad type of solution.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. I'll keep looking as to how to remove anything that gets installed on a system. But let me ask you this: How do you know when you're visiting a site that is infected?

That would be pretty obvious, you get one of those stupid popups pretending to scan your computer and wanting you to buy their software to save yourself.

What if it comes through an email or an attachment? Eventually this has to be purged out.

Have never seen one of these sent via email. If it is, delete the email. Pretty easy.

I use ONYX frequently to clean my system, but seeing this pop up reminds me of a Windows based machine, which I have abandoned years ago.

Whether you get those popups doesn't have a lot to do with which OS you have, it has to do with what browsers are capable of doing.

Yet apparently this also pops up on iPads as well which is stated in the other forum I linked to in my initial post. So while we can stay away from site that are infected, that's a pretty broad type of solution.

That or quit browsing the web are really the only solutions. You're no more safe from people out there that want to scam you out of your money on the web than you are in real life.

You stay away from certain known neighborhoods and areas in towns in real life, stay away from those sites that are trying to scam you out of your money while you're on the web. Seems pretty easy to me.

And I disagree that it's a broad solution. I only run into those sites maybe once or twice a year. I've already made the commitment that if a web site uses one of those popups, once I get out of the stupid thing, I don't go back to that site, I look for another - as they really don't want my business. They're looking for people they can scam. And it's not going to be me.

OP
Z
Reaction score
And I disagree that it's a broad solution. I only run into those sites maybe once or twice a year. I've already made the commitment that if a web site uses one of those popups, once I get out of the stupid thing, I don't go back to that site, I look for another - as they really don't want my business. They're looking for people they can scam. And it's not going to be me.

Thanks for the insightful information. I guess I should stop visiting this forum as that's when the pop up happened last time. I should also stay away from eBay or Twitter as that's when the pop up kicked in. I have the full screen shot, but due to sensitive info displayed in the screen shot I cropped it out. So I guess these sites are infected *sure they are*.

No worries, I actually found solid solutions/explanations being discussed at the Apple Support Community: https://discussions.apple.com/message/16192433#16192433

Much more thorough and in depth information rather than typical obvious comments, analogies or metaphors. But again, thanks for the reply, I think I've found the right direction with a clear understanding of more seasoned Mac users.

Highly appreciated!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I guess like this answer from the thread you have linked to - by Thomas A Reed - it is spot on.

20110921-gfj6ypdp7m5c64miumcbhjcgm4.jpg

It's really not rocket science here.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Exactly, not rocket science at all. But of course we're going to pick and choose whichever one comment, of the many, will support our point. And that is just one comment out of many. The problem is quitting Safari is necessary because there is no X to close the window and CMND+W wouldn't close it either.

So although it is spot on, it's still not a complete solution. The tongue-in-cheek humor is also much more appreciated in the explanation than superfluous banter and information. But I'm glad you took note of the post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.