G4 Airport troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 MBP 4GB Ram 500 GB HDD
Ok so the other day I picked up an old G4 and now it won't connect to my router except wired in. The laptop gives a notice that I may have entered an incorrect password or network name, chosen the wrong type of wireless security(of which it gives NO options)or I may be out of range :Angry-Tongue: I also get this message now and again "The wireless network home network does not support the requested encryption method" WTH???
Any help would be appreciated thank you BTW this is not the only venture into the world of Macs in my home ... I recently got rid of a 1992 Mac classic and I also do run a Dell inspiron Hackintosh that I really love when it isn't being used with Linux

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, we don't talk about "Hackintosh" in these forums - please read our guidelines which you can find in my signature line.

Your old G4 likely does support anything other than WEP. Either use an ethernet cable or change your router encryption from whatever it's using to WEP.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, we don't talk about "Hackintosh" in these forums - please read our guidelines which you can find in my signature line.

Your old G4 likely does support anything other than WEP. Either use an ethernet cable or change your router encryption from whatever it's using to WEP.

I read your response AND the guidelines, nowhere does it say anything specifically about a Hack. As for Apple not wanting people to build such boxes, why did they venture into Pentium processors (After all they knew people would be making these).Perhaps there should be a sub forum for this subject ... as a lot of people (myself included) cannot afford to go out and buy a new Mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
#5 in the guidelines covers OSX on Non Apple Hardware as that is not legal. We do not allow any discussion here about OSX on Non Apple Hardware. No sub forums, it's not allowed as it #1 is against Apples EULA and #2 copy protection has to be broken in the form of a new Kernel or other Hack to get it to work. You can NOT just insert an OSX DVD into a STOCK PC and have it boot and install.

Lets stick to your question about the G4.

On your G4, what OS is installed? The OSX version please. Please get back with the Info. Specs on the machine would be good also, but I need to know the OS version.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I read your response AND the guidelines, nowhere does it say anything specifically about a Hack.

There isn't - but there is something in regard to illegal activity. In order to install OS X on generic x86 hardware, one must break the encryption mechanisms Apple has in place. This is in violation of the US DMCA, which has actually been tested and upheld in the courts, specifically in Apple v. Psystar a couple of years ago.

As for Apple not wanting people to build such boxes, why did they venture into Pentium processors (After all they knew people would be making these)

I'm certain their motive wasn't to open up OS X to any old hardware, more like allowing it access to the newer faster CPUs (particularly in the mobile space) that PPC wasn't keeping pace with. Making the Mac a viable Windows platform probably helped with that decision as well.

.Perhaps there should be a sub forum for this subject ... as a lot of people (myself included) cannot afford to go out and buy a new Mac.

No one is forcing you to buy a Mac or run OS X. If you can't afford it, use something else. I can't afford a Ferrari, that doesn't mean I go to Ferrari forums and try to get them to tell me how to rebuild my Honda into one.

There are plenty of other forums that allow discussion of OSX86, we're not one of them. Now, continue on with your discussion about the G4 or we're done here.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As for Apple not wanting people to build such boxes, why did they venture into Pentium processors (After all they knew people would be making these).
The EULA has a clear response to this: you can use OS X on any Apple branded computer (source). The very fact that it is difficult to install OS X on a non-Apple machine is evidence enough that Apple doesn't want people doing it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The very fact that it is difficult to install OS X on a non-Apple machine is evidence enough that Apple doesn't want people doing it.
Dfficult???? hmm I've only been using a computer for less than 5 years and find this operation just as easy as installing opensuse in the same box. If you find this difficult perhaps you just aren't trying, the hardest part with making it work was buying the disk. No I am not a programmer either! My boxes specs are Dell inspiron 1525 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD and everything else stock. BTW the G4 is still a viable replacement for my aging emachines desktop. Which I found is not that easy to Hack thus is running #! WHICH is a truly difficult OS to get to work correctly for some people!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Dude, we allow NO discussion of OSX on PC hardware here at Mac forums. If you can not follow the rules, maybe you better move on.

You had a question about g4 and airport? I asked you questions which so far you have not answered.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I did ask a question about a G4 and airport but you seemed to be more interested in my hack so I will say goodbye and out!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I did ask a question about a G4 and airport but you seemed to be more interested in my hack so I will say goodbye and out!

Um I asked you a question about your G4 which you refused to answer. All forums have rules, if you can not obey one simple rule here with is USA Law in fact, then cya I guess. I wanted to help you. And don't say I did not try please.

You can do what you want with your PC and OSX, just don't discuss it here as we do not allow that discussion.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Bye now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.