iMac Video adapter failing?

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2007 iMac running OS X 10.6.8.
My screen keeps freezing and the only way to deal with it is to force shut down.
Applications such as Skype and iTunes keep running. Mouse cursor is moving but everything else is frozen.
I reinstalled Snow Leopard, ran the disk utility (repaired permissions,repaired disk),ran Apple Hardware Test,which didn't find anything wrong with the hardware...but the computer keeps freezing.
Any thoughts? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Freezing can also be caused by bad memory or a bad hard drive. Since your iMac is 4 years old, I would suspect the hard drive first. The Apple Hardware Test is not very good at finding hard drive problems. Try running Disk Utility from your install recovery DVD and see if it comes up with any errors.

OP
P
Reaction score
I also thought of the hard drive but I did run Disk Utility from the install DVD and it didn't come up with any errors.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I doubt it's the memory that's causing the freezing. Also, memory glitches usually cause the system to reboot. It could be software but that seems unlikely also. Try booting the system into Safe Mode and let it run awhile that way to see if freezing occurs. Keep making backups just in case.....

OP
P
Reaction score
Booting in Safe Mode didn't help...
I wonder if there's any way other than Apple Hardware Test to check what's going on...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I have an iMac about the same age doing the same thing. I think the issue is the graphics chipset overheating and freezing the computer. I know mine can be replicated loading World of Warcraft for a few minutes. I could get the same results running a full screen video or iTunes visualizer - anything that will stress the video card. It's possible just increasing airflow through the computer might keep it going a while.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.