"Switcher's Sweat": a tale.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" G4 iBook 512k, 60gb, 4 widgets.
I've decided that I want to buy a copy of Adobe PS Elements for my new iBook. Of course, I can get it from Amazon (from whom I bought my iBook), or a host of other resellers, and Adobe directly. Well, just as a nod to my slight need for instant gratification (slight, I say, because I truly CAN wait)- I decided to pop into a couple of local stores.

Before I do, I figure it's best to save some gas and see who has what.

I surf to Best Buy's website- NO. In fact, I'm not certain they even sell Mac software. Ironically, however, a search for "Mac" on their website produces a Mac Mini, which they'll apparently happily sell.

I check out Circuit City online- no dice.

I shrug, and head out with my wife to accomplish other non-computer related goals.

As we are driving around performing other errands, I swing into Staples. Negative. No Mac stuff in sight.

I then find myself in WalMart to buy some groceries- and I figure "what the ****". Folks, they've got bleeped and censored rap galore, but not a trace of Mac software.

For the briefest of moments- I suffered "Switcher's Sweat"- a term I coined to denote that sudden feeling of "What if I've just blown $1200 on a white (pun intended) elephant?!?!?"

And then it hit me...

First- I bought my Mac not for a wealth of cheap $9.99 games. Certainly not for a host of anti-virus suites :spook:, and not because it was critical that I get a fix from Wally World- but instead, for the quality of what's "under the hood". I liked (and love) what the iBook seemed to offer, and I found no contrary evidence in my research that led me to believe other than that it would suit me perfectly.

That led me to my second thought. I'm a motorcycle enthusiast. Have been for some time- it's truly my life (outside of family). The motorcycles I've owned (and currently own) aren't always the most common. In fact, a couple of them are relatively rare- and require a lot of dealing with the OEM (sound familliar?)

I love those bikes- and have been exceptionally satisfied with the ownership experience, the build quality- and frankly, more for the sense of something unique to be appreciated as an aesthete (as oppose to an elitist).

I can buy oil filters for these machines from other places, as well as oil and a wealth of accessories offered by quality aftermarket manufacturers. This too is familliar- and like my experience with my iBook, is largely done with online retailers. How appropriate, for a machine which is often touted as ideal for those involved in the "digital lifestyle*". If I do need something major partswise that I cannnot find elsewhere, I deal directly with a brand-specific retailer. That too, is familliar.

So, as a switcher who wiped the sweat from his brow, and moved said hand down to my chin for a bit of reflection-

I'm even more convinced I made the right choice- for me. For now, iBooks and Mac-based products might not be the first choice of the masses- but then, so many things worth possessing aren't judged by their popularity, but by their quality.

(Incidentally, Amazon got some more of my loot once we returned home.)

Thanks for listening!

*NOTE: I loathe and abhor the term "lifestyle" as a marketing gimmick, but I begrudgingly concede that in this case, it's warranted. An apt descriptor for those of us who just want to use our computers (or motorcycles) frequently, with minimal hassle and maximum enjoyment.

M

Merlinblack

I agree I've had a few "switcher sweat" moments, but you know what there is nothing I like better than using my PB and in fact I'm ready to throw out my Windows box (gaming and school) for a power mac dual processor. If I only had the money

*sigh*

thanks for the insight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
macmall.com i have picked up one or two things there over the year

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
You might try CompUSA. They have a lot of mac stuff at the store by me. That is if you have them where you are at. But you could probably get them cheaper online. that is if you can wait.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.