Time Machine question

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Well Bootcamp, well really myself, decided to just royally screw me last night when I tried to partition my hard drive for windows. I don't really want to get into that part because I've been dreading it for the past 24 hours. All in all my hard drive is no more.

If I reformat and reinstall snow leopard with my install disk... Will my external hard drive with Time Machine back ups be able to be reinstalled/brought back/whatever to my new reformatted OSX?

That's my main question because I really don't want to take my iMac into Apple.

I tried doing two system restores in the past 6 hours through my last back up and after everytime it has completed the restore, it tells me to restart... Which I did... Then the famous "No bootable device is detected...press any key to continue" appears.

If anyone could help... Thank you in advance.

Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.7 GHz Mac Pro, 30" HD cinema display, 12 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM
When you boot from your system disk (hold the "c" key down at startup) you will be given a choice on the (I believe) 2nd page to backup from Time Machine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Time Machine backups are not bootable. You need to reinstall Snow Leopard first and then during the reinstall process you'll be asked if you wish to restore or migrate data from Time Machine. Respond yes and make sure your TM drive is attached. The restore will proceed automatically. After that, reboot and you should be back in business.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.