MBP (Snow leopard) Stuck in apple logo during start up

Reaction score
Problem: My MBP is stuck in apple logo (with the spinning thing) when I start up OSX, which I have waited for more than 20mins... But I can use bootcamp to enter windows xp, which is what I am doing now.

Additional Info: Before my mac got stuck, i used amazon mp3 downloader but it couldnt open, then reported back error code -10822, so I restarted my mac. Then it got stuck in the apple log with the spinning thing underneath forever...

I have tried Command-S to repair disk and it said ok.
I have also tried safe-mode but it still stuck.

Every suggestion will be appreciated;).

Michael

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have a backup? Time Machine perhaps? If it won't start up in Safe Mode it's possible that one or more system startup files are corrupt.

One way to repair it is to reinstall Snow Leopard. Reinstalling Snow Leopard will not overwrite your personal data - documents, music, videos, etc. What it will do is install all new system files and kernel extensions. After which you'll need to run software update to bring Snow Leopard up to date.

Also, it will not overwrite or otherwise damage your Boot Camp partition but it's a good idea to backup it up just in case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Use CMD+V at startup. This should at least display the point at which OS X stops loading and perhaps an error message to research.

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue after attempting to reinstall Mac OS X Leopard. I held down Command+V, and the system stop after:

Loading drivers...
Loading System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext................................................................................................................................

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Thanks!

How do I do a clean install of OS X Snow Leopard? The intel Mac machine currently runs on v10.6.8, and I have tried to use the original installation CD - which is v10.6.3. I have tried booting from the CD with no luck (I held down C on start up and nothing happens), tried installing it but upon automatic restart the mac freezes with the apple logo.

This has been frustrating me for hours...any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
With the OS X install media in the optical drive, hold down Option at boot. This will bring you to a screen to select the device/media you want to boot to.

Choose the install media.

If the DVD does not show as an option the media may be damaged or the drive may be faulty.

Also if you have install after market RAM this may cause the DVD media not to boot correctly.

Snow Leopard install media by default will not perform a clean install so don't worry about losing data. You would need to run Disk Utility while booted to the install media to initialize the disk first (which would wipe out your data).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13.3 Macbook Pro, 2.3ghz i5, 4g DDR3, 320gb hdd, iPhone 4s 32gb White, iPad 2 16gb Wifi White
I just had this happen to me 3 weeks ago. Mine was an I/O error. I thought i was the logic board and it was still under warranty so they fixed it for free. But they replaced the hdd 2 times and a cable then decided that it was the logic board and upgraded me for free to the 2011 model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.