Problem installing Lion on formatted mac

Reaction score
I recently formatted my computer, can not find my snow leopard dvd that followed my macbook that i bought aprox 1 year ago..

So i bought the OS X lion memory stick from applestore..

First time i tried it started installing, it was working for a while, until i got the message that there was a problem under installing, please try again. It does not say specific what the problem was, so im a bit confused.

I tried several times, rebooting and restarting the installation, but it seems to crash straight away, giving me the same message, when i try again now..

In the install log there are three error lines:

Quoting parts of it:
OSInstaller [337] "Bookmark failed to issue extension for item (depht=4000): no such file or directory"

OSInstaller[337] Failed to locate volume with UUID xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

OSInstaller[337] Couldnt find the Mac OS (Server) install data)

i do not know if these are relevant at all..
There are also other errors in the log, but i dont think they are relevant.

It is a macbook pro 15"
Intel i7
8gb ram
2010 model

Clues on how to reset the computer completely would be helpful..

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I recently formatted my computer, can not find my snow leopard dvd that followed my macbook that i bought aprox 1 year ago..

So i bought the OS X lion memory stick from applestore..

First time i tried it started installing, it was working for a while, until i got the message that there was a problem under installing, please try again. It does not say specific what the problem was, so im a bit confused.

I tried several times, rebooting and restarting the installation, but it seems to crash straight away, giving me the same message, when i try again now..

In the install log there are three error lines:

Quoting parts of it:
OSInstaller [337] "Bookmark failed to issue extension for item (depht=4000): no such file or directory"

OSInstaller[337] Failed to locate volume with UUID xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

OSInstaller[337] Couldnt find the Mac OS (Server) install data)

i do not know if these are relevant at all..
There are also other errors in the log, but i dont think they are relevant.

It is a macbook pro 15"
Intel i7
8gb ram
2010 model

Clues on how to reset the computer completely would be helpful..

Just curious, how did you format the Mac HD without the OS Disk?

OP
E
Reaction score
Ok..

I downloaded a version with the intention of buying it if i liked it..

Burned it, mounted, formatted, found out it wasnt working..

Have learned my lesson, had to buy a physical version at a much higher price...

Now i am trying to install a legit and paid for version, so please, help a repenting sinner.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Not having seen the Lion install media. But is should be like previous installs. Just before you start the install you should be able to format our drive and then do the install. Check all of your drop down menus.

Hopefully someone will come along and correct me if I am wrong.

OP
E
Reaction score
Not having seen the Lion install media. But is should be like previous installs. Just before you start the install you should be able to format our drive and then do the install. Check all of your drop down menus.

Hopefully someone will come along and correct me if I am wrong.

Correct..
I am able to format it again..

But it seems that some is still left, for example, the internet password is still remembered..

And it seems that the install starts right where it stopped, even after formatting it all over...

How do you even restart the install?

Is rebooting restarting?
If yes, why do i encounter the problem immidieatly on the reboot, when the problem initially shown itself some time into the installation proscess the first time?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am stating the obvious, but just in case, you need to make sure you are booting from the USB Stick.
Power on your Mac and immediatetly hold down the option key.

Starting from an external USB storage device (Intel-based Macs)

EDIT: We had a thread some time back where the OP had a problem with a failed Windows/Bootcamp install that was hanging like yours. I will look for it and see if anything in it is applicable to your situation.

OP
E
Reaction score
I am stating the obvious

indeed..

I get into the install menu, and the installing process window appears for 3-5 seconds..

The first time it was working for at least 10 min into the installation process..

Guess i should try to call apple support tomorrow..

Noone has a clue at all?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
indeed..

I get into the install menu, and the installing process window appears for 3-5 seconds..

The first time it was working for at least 10 min into the installation process..

Guess i should try to call apple support tomorrow..

Noone has a clue at all?

Sorry, but you wouldn't believe the things we run into, so have to ask to obvious to be certain . . . But, no, the only other thing I could suggest would be to give another look for your Snow Leopard disks . . . But that's obvious too . . . ;)
Hope things turn out OK and let us know.

OP
E
Reaction score
This is what i hate about mac..
its to fancy..
if this had been a PC i probably would have got this insane error message that i could have googled..

Have to take a look after my snow leopard discs i guess, and give apple a call tomorrow if i dont find anything..

Ill update here when i get it up and running again..

@Razormac, thank you for your dedication

And to everyone else,, im open to every suggestion!

OP
E
Reaction score
Update:

Called Apple support today

Seems that Lion USB wont work, when you dont have Snow Leopard. (mine is formatted)
They told me i had to buy a new version of Snow Leopard (cant find my install dvd).

1 Question though, why couldnt they send me a version, and charge me for delivery and a "shame on you for loosing your dvd" fee? They have my serial number, and know that i am a legit owner of a mac with snow leopard..

The easiest is just borrowing the install dvd from a friend, i guess.. Think it'll work, ill at least try before i go and buy a new version..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Update:

Called Apple support today

Seems that Lion USB wont work, when you dont have Snow Leopard. (mine is formatted)
They told me i had to buy a new version of Snow Leopard (cant find my install dvd).

Dont understand this, as i made a Lion USB and did a clean install on 1 partition on my Ext HDD. Something is a miss there.

Reaction score
[[[solution]]]

I just went through this myself, after a failed install onto a defective SSD, after replacing the disk, and rerunning the installer, it began to fail with the same error as the original post in this thread.

The solution turns out to be quite simple, the installer app sets a value in PRAM specifying the target UUID. Resetting the PRAM (see: Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM) allowed me to install onto the new SSD without issue

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.