Removal of toolbar icon after application deleted?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4ghz i5, iPad 2 32gb
Hi I am quite new to Macs so I am unsure of a little problem I have...

I recently tried to install a piece of software called WD Anywhere backup so I could back up my mac on a My Book. However I decided to uninstall as i preferred time machine. So i went into finder, got the application and put it into trash, then deleted the trash file. There is now no trace of it on finder or when I search.

However the icon for the program is still in the top right hand corner of the screen next to the time and it will not go, it does not perform a function when clicked as the software isnt there anymore and although not interferring with my work its pretty annoying to have this big green icon sitting there with no use.

How do I remove this icon from my desktop?

thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Use the WD Anywhere Uninstaller it should be in a folder in your Applications titled as
such also as to keep this from possibly happening to you again always use the uninstaller program if it comes with one for everything else drag to trash works.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Use the WD Anywhere Uninstaller it should be in a folder in your Applications titled as
such also as to keep this from possibly happening to you again always use the uninstaller program if it comes with one for everything else drag to trash works.

Unfortunately though as i said in the post there is no WD file in applications, or anywhere so there is no uninstaller program for me to find?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Reinstall it and then use the uninstaller. As I understand it, when installed, there should be a WD folder in /Applications which will include an uninstaller.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reinstall it and then use the uninstaller. As I understand it, when installed, there should be a WD folder in /Applications which will include an uninstaller.

Ok I just tried to do that and now when i try to install it says I cant install the software as you are not allowed to install an older verison when you have up to date software, please uninstall the new version before attempting the uninstall?

erm.... i am using the same disc?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's not all that surprising if the software was updated since you installed it from the disc. If that's the case, then yes, the software from the disc would be older. This also goes to show you that it wasn't completely uninstalled. ;)

Get the software from here - that should be the newest version.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's not all that surprising if the software was updated since you installed it from the disc. If that's the case, then yes, the software from the disc would be older. This also goes to show you that it wasn't completely uninstalled. ;)

Get the software from here - that should be the newest version.

I am so sorry to keep being the bearer of bad news but this is where i got the software from, so i tried to re-download and install like you said and it still wont work, saying its an older version of what i already have installed.... Apologies it seems i am being negative to all your ideas but so far the software keeps saying no!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No worries - we don't always get it right the first time around. ;)

Do you have a Time Machine backup by any chance? If so, go "back in time" and retrieve the uninstaller. If not, install Pacifist and use that to extract the uninstaller from the pkg file that is in the WD Anywhere disk image.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No worries - we don't always get it right the first time around. ;)

Do you have a Time Machine backup by any chance? If so, go "back in time" and retrieve the uninstaller. If not, install Pacifist and use that to extract the uninstaller from the pkg file that is in the WD Anywhere disk image.

Thats great can you provide me with a link to the Pacifist software and is it free?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Just to be sure we are on the same page what model WD MyBook do you have because re-installing it should have worked and are you positive you did not download smart ware ? Don't take this wrong but the type of firmware is very model specific so
I had to ask ?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to be sure we are on the same page what model WD MyBook do you have because re-installing it should have worked and are you positive you did not download smart ware ? Don't take this wrong but the type of firmware is very model specific so
I had to ask ?

Its the white light 2tb my book world edition

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.