Mail converts random messages to plain text

Reaction score
I have been using my Macbook Pro (OS X 10.5.8) and running Mail version 3.6 for some years now. I love my Macbook, have had hardly any problems with Mail but have recently had one annoying 'glitch' that I can't get to the bottom of.

In the last two weeks, Mail has been delivering many of my usual e-mails in plain text format with hyperlinks. There does not appear to be any pattern to this. I can receive two e-mails from the same sender, sent one after the other, one will convert to plain text, the other will display in HTML. I am really not an advanced user so this might be a very simple problem for somebody else to identify and solve - I would be very grateful for any advice :)

I have two accounts in Mail, one is my home e-mail (a POP account) and the other is a gmail account (using IMAP) I do not think this is causing the problem but it may have some relevance?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.