iphoto, importing photos

Reaction score
I know nothing about computers. Can anyone tell me: if I import my photos into iphoto, do these photos exist as new files (doubles?). If so, they would eat up twice as much space on my computer?

Can anyone recommend something other than iphoto, that is good for large amounts of photos? Iphoto does not allow me to import all that I have. I guess I have too much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
iPhoto does not create doubles on the computer, no, it just copies from the camera's memory card, so it takes up the same space on your HD as it would on the card.
As for having too much, or not being able to import them all, you are only limited by your available HD space, nothing to do with iPhoto.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok...I'm not copying from my memory card though. The photos are already on my computer. It still won't make a copy if I import my photos into iphoto?

I appreciate your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
If you're importing from your hard drive, it will create a copy in the iPhoto library.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
If you're importing from your hard drive, it will create a copy in the iPhoto library.

Unless you have changed the iPhoto preferences (Advanced - uncheck Copy items to iPhoto Library) in which case the won't!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
So, once the iPhoto import is done, you can delete the "originals."

Again, Unless you have changed the iPhoto preferences (Advanced - uncheck Copy items to iPhoto Library) in which case don't or the're gone!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Unless you have changed the iPhoto preferences (Advanced - uncheck Copy items to iPhoto Library) in which case the won't!

Thanks.. I don't know the preferences because well... I don't use iPhoto. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.