Cannot connect to routers with WEP

S

spongebue

First of all, I have entered the WEP key the way I always have, same code. It also runs fine with other laptops, so I know it's not the router. That leaves me with my iBook. Now, on with the story!

I use my iBook G3 (12", 500MHz) on a variety of wireless networks. There are 2 at my house (one doesn't reach far, the other works better and was only $5) both are encrypted using WEP with the same key. Neither of them work. I also use this at school, and occasionally at work, both of which are unencrypted. I first experienced problems at times at home, on router #1 (AKA, Actiontec) When I went from an unsecure to secure network, it would sometimes require a reboot (although, I think that was after work, which was also named Actiontec)

Now, I cannot connect to either Actiontec or my other router, AKA hawking. When I enter the AirPort password, it gives me the same error I receive when putting in the wrong password (AirPort could not join the selected network Actiontec/hawking) Like I said, I know it's not a laptop problem, as it works with other things on the wireless network. Has anyone had (and prefferably solved ;) ) this problem? If so, how can I fix it? Of course, if you know of a way to fix it but you haven't had that problem, that's fine, too :p )

thanks,
spongebue

OP
M

Merlinblack

if I understand you correctly,

Try turning the wep key off (I know it's not the key problem but bear with me) if the MAC can connect, it's a really strange problem and you might need apple support.

Otherwise you might just have a bad airport card and it's not sending the signal corectly or at all, but it's making the computer think it is.

Good luck I hope that helped a little.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I had a similar problem with my old Airport base-station (Snow). Eventually I had to reset the base-station back to it's out of the box settings and rebuild my network settings from scratch. Other computers were able to access it just fine, only my G4 had issues. Once I rebuilt it, everything worked fine.

I know that probably doesn't help, but it worked for me.

OP
S

spongebue

Merlinblack said:
if I understand you correctly,

Try turning the wep key off (I know it's not the key problem but bear with me) if the MAC can connect, it's a really strange problem and you might need apple support.

Otherwise you might just have a bad airport card and it's not sending the signal corectly or at all, but it's making the computer think it is.

Good luck I hope that helped a little.

Tried that already, works fine without WEP :/

I'm going somewhere with an Apple store nearby later today anyway, I'll see if they have any suggestions (*crosses fingers, then realizes that whenever I do that it doesn't work, so uncrosses them*)

OP
M

manyways

i had the same problem connecting to my netgear router when i first got my ibook

i removed wep and mac access control, updated all the software on my ibook

and tried it again, it worked from there....so give updating a go if u havent

other than that im not too sure on how to solve it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.