Help with ibook g4 hard drive issues(i think!)

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to the mac scene and i am having a few problems with an ibook i just purchased.
The person i bought it off told me he was going to clear his stuff etc before i bought it, he then told me he had messed up and it needed reinstalling and i could get restore discs for it.
I have found out that he thinks it was on osx 10.4 so i tried to locate the correct file, downloaded it, burnt it to a dvd and tried to use it to boot my g4.
Upon booting if i dont do anything i get a flashing question mark, if i hold the option key i get a menu with two arrows, with the disc in it shows up and i can boot from disc, i then go through the installer until it gets to choose destination at which point it doesn't show the hard drive, The graphics are also strange at this point and the trackpad doesn't work, I then tried booting with the disc in holding c this booted it into the installer but this time the graphics were fine but it still won't show the hard drive, I can hear the hardrive spinning etc on start up and no clicking noises.
Could it be something to do with the disc i've burnt or am i just going to have to invest in a bigger hardrive, i've tried all this with the extra ram in + out aswel.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.