help - launchpad not showing apps

Reaction score
Hi all, I bought my first Mac on friday. It's an iMac 21.5in and mostly I love it. As an iPad and iPhone user I really love Launchpad but today I encountered a problem. The apps that I've installed no longer appear in launchpad. Instead launchpad just shows the same preinstalled applications that it did when i first switched on my mac.

To clarify:

- they are saved in the applications folder - which i understood to be the folder that launchpad displays
- launchpad has previously shown my apps
- They are not sitting on a second page that i haven't noticed
- I've downloaded launchpad control and ticked a bunch of boxes. It claims i should now have two pages of apps, but launchpad ignores this.
- I've tried launching a bunch of apps in the hope that it would make launchpad notice them and thus include them
- I've tried re-starting my machine and making a cup of coffee (amazing how many windows problems used to get solved that way!)

I appreciate that it's not the biggest problem in the world but it's annoying me beyond belief as the beauty of launchpad is that you don't need to have a massively crowded dock.

Any one got any idea what the problem might be?

kind regards

Paul.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Go and click on the  in the top left then System Preferences. Down the bottom in *other* you should see launch pad. Click on it and then check all the Apps you want Launch Pad to Display.
If that doesn't work, post back and we will take it from there.

HTH

Cheers

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi TattooedMac,

Thanks for your response. I tried that and while every app appears on the list and lets me tick or un-tick it the only one which will actually appear or disappear from launchpad (depending of course on whether it is ticked or unticked) is Font Box. otherwise launchpad ignores my choices and just shows the standard apps - safari, dvd control, iTunes, dashboard etc

v. frustrating.

thanks,

Paul.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.