Case-Sensitive to Case-Insensitive

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Can someone please give me some guidance on how to make a Case-Sensitive filesystem a Case-Insensitive filesystem?

I am using a Mac Mini running 10.7, I have even purchased iPartition, but am worried if I create a bootable clone and restore, it will restore as Case-Sensitive instead of Case-Insensitive even if I have formatted the disk otherwise.

My Mac Mini has dual 500GB drives, both Case-Sensitive but I mainly need the Startup Disk to be case ignorant and be able to keep all my custom icons/installed applications etc

Any help will be hugely appreciated! Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Case sensitivity of the file system is set during formatting. Moving data onto the partition does not change the format.

Aside from that you can check it yourself if you're going to make a bootable clone. Boot to the clone and "verify". You should never "restore" from a backup until you have booted to it and made sure that it works.

I cannot say though what may happen to any of your individual data moving it from a case sensitive to a non case sensitive file system, as I have never used case sensitive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.