This is ridiculous

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
So, my cousin has the newest MBP. My MBP is running via ethernet because the wifi here sucks. Well, his computer will not work using ethernet. When you first plug it in, it says that there is no IP address. After about 2 minutes, it picks up an IP address. After that, once you open the internet, it will not work. I've restarted his computer, switched ethernet cords, switched rooms and plugged it in using MY cord in MY room where my computer currently works. I am not getting anything. Is there any way to fix this? I can't imagine what the issue is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try setting up Network again with Location set as Automatic and entering all that is required using the browser URL.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is set to automatic. All of his settings are identical to mine. No go.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anyone else have any input as to why this is not working? I think the ethernet port is not working correctly, but I am not sure. I think he might give Apple a call today and see if they can trouble shoot the issue, it's just much easier to get an answer off here, then there is no waiting on the phone.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Does anyone else have any input as to why this is not working? I think the ethernet port is not working correctly, but I am not sure. I think he might give Apple a call today and see if they can trouble shoot the issue, it's just much easier to get an answer off here, then there is no waiting on the phone.

Bad Ethernet port was my thought too.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At least I am not the only one in thinking that. It's odd though, because it's a brand new mac. As in like 4 weeks old. It replaced his previous MacBook Pro that went haywire after like 2 months.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You say after a bit it gets an IP Address. What is that address? 169.x.x.x by any chance?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You say after a bit it gets an IP Address. What is that address? 169.x.x.x by any chance?

????
Looks like we are going to get an impartation of knowledge. And I, for one, am curious.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
????
Looks like we are going to get an impartation of knowledge. And I, for one, am curious.

"dtravis7" is definitely one of Mac-Forums "networking" experts!:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I don't remember exactly, but I believe it was. Which would be the computers individual address and not the networks, correct? I should have mentioned that earlier I guess. It did not occur to me. Well, my cousin is calling apple and they are going to try and trouble shoot it for him.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, that is a self assigned IP. Is the iMac plugged into a router? Does the light on the port light up with the cable from the imac is plugged into the router?

Keep us posted on what Apple says.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a MacBook Pro , not an iMac. Sorry for the confusion. It is not plugged directly into the router because they issue a router per wing of the dorm. There is a little fixture in the wall that connects to the router. I plugged all of my working things into his mac and the ethernet port in his system preferences is yellow. It says it's either damaged or that it's not connected. Then after about 2 minutes the light goes green saying it's connected, but then it gives you computers self assigned IP address. So yeah, we are waiting on Apple.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple solved it. They had him reset all kinds of odds and ends. Now it works!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Apple solved it. They had him reset all kinds of odds and ends. Now it works!

I wonder if a simple PRAM/NVRAM reset would have solved things...or if that's what Apple did.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure what they told him to do. I wasn't there. But I know he was on the phone for 41 minutes.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can later, ask him. It would be interesting. I could have told you to do a few things but I was trying to be sure the port was actually working as not to be a cat chasing his tail and run around in circles! The Info could be useful for someone else down the road who is on College dorm internet like that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.