Complex Home Network Setup

Orc

Reaction score
Hi;

I've got a bit of an intricate problem, and I need a solution.

So, basically, I have a DSL modem connected to a Belkin wireless router. All this works fine, no connection problems or anything. I connect to this wireless network on my Macbook running OSX 10.5.8. However, I need to get internet access on a large, extremely stationary Windows 7 desktop. The problem is, I can't hardwire the desktop to the router, and it doesn't have a wireless card, and I can't buy one (or an adapter.) However, I wondered if there was a way to take my Macbook (connected via wifi network), connect it to the desktop with an ethernet cable, and somehow route the network connection through my laptop.

My laptop is a quad-booting monster, so I have access to Windows XP, OSX, Gentoo and BT5.

Previous attempts: I was told to try to set up "Internet Sharing" in Windows. However, my attempts failed, and I found out this is because the entire concept doesn't work when there's a router involved (it's a throwback from the days of dial-up connections.)

Ideas and advice are welcome.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Internet sharing is generally a big bag of hurt. It's really meant to be a stop gap solution in situations where you need a temporary connection. I guess my question is why you can't buy a wireless adapter for your desktop machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If you really can't get a wireless adapter for the desktop, boot into OS X, connect to the wifi network and enable internet sharing over the ethernet jack - should work fine if the desktop is configured to use DHCP over the ethernet port.

But seriously - buy a $10 USB wifi dongle and save yourself the anguish :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
If you are near a powerplug - powerline adapters also work well. I recommend getting something that can handle steaming - unless you just want to view the internet/move data files around. Check out Netgear
High Performance

USB Wifi should be available for all those OSes
USB - Linux Wireless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
As stated above, an external USB adapter would be the cheapest and easiest route. You could also get an Airport Express adapter and set your wireless network up on that, plug into power near your Windows machine and use ethernet from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.