Replace Macbook Pro A1260 entire display with A1150?

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro 15" A1260 display has finally stopped working due to the aluminum case cracking on either side of the LCD panel near the bottom. The only way to see anything is by taking a high powered flashlight and getting within 6 inches of the display and holding the light at an angle. Needless to say, it's quite an expensive repair as Apple refuses to budge (despite the obvious design flaw that has caused the same issue to many others). :Not-Amused:

I just purchased a used Macbook Pro 15" A1150 LCD and screen assembly, including the web cam, data cable and inverter--everything looked identical as far as I could tell from photos. Somebody please tell me that I didn't just make a horrible mistake and purchase a part that will not be compatible?

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, you're definitely in uncharted territory with that assembly as the data cable connectors are proprietary and can vary from logic board to logic board, as can the physical hinge assembly. Have you removed the old display and does it match up physically to the new one?

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the response; I will not be assembling it myself--there is an Apple authorized repair shop nearby that was going to charge me about $500 and this was my method of saving money--they said I can buy parts. I have not removed the old display--I LITERALLY just bought the display on eBay yesterday and will not have it until later this week. My goal was to find out if anyone knew if it'd be a fit or not. Fortunately, I do actually have the option to return it (minus shipping costs) if it doesn't work.

Any other suggestions at the moment, or alternatively any other solutions you know of that could save me money?

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.