clean install of snow leopard i'm stuck!

Reaction score
I am running an iMac Intel Core Duo 2 on 10.4.11 Tiger.
I have 300GB HD and 2GB RAM

I have just got full install disks of Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and have been trying to do a clean install.

Firstly, I put the disk in selected install and it told me to restart my computer rather than taking me through to installation screens.

I restarted and got as far as the select a language screen and got the error message "This version of Mac OS X cannot be installed on this machine"

I went through disk utility and erased my hard drive completely, so it is completely clear and no longer has Tiger on it.

I tried booting from the install DVD again and came to the same error message when trying to progress from the select a language screen.

No i'm stuck, i'd be grateful if anyone could help as I can't find any information specific to my problem. I don't fully understand all the back end stuff so feel a bit nervous doing anything else. Please help!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Where did the disc (there's just one) come from?

OP
K
Reaction score
I got it on ebay i asked a few people and they said it would work fine. I have two discs the other has software or something on. Have I been stupid believing them? Thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I got it on ebay i asked a few people and they said it would work fine. I have two discs the other has software or something on. Have I been stupid believing them? Thanks

It sounds like you bought a Machine specific package (came with someone's Mac) rather than the retail package. Apple still sells it at their online store for $29.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA

EDIT: And, no the Machine specific package will only work if you have the same model (which apparently you don't)

OP
K
Reaction score
So I would have been better getting hold of the upgrade version instead?

I just thought that having the full version would avoid me having to install tiger again and then 'upgrade' I would just have the whole system off one disk.

Is there a work around does any one know or am I best just getting rid of these discs?

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No, you should have purchased the Upgrade version. Works fine.

Those DVD's you bought were for a specific Mac model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The full retail install disc comes in a box, and is a white disc with a photo of the Snow Leopard. Sounds like you have been conned into a silver/grey machine specific disc set.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.