Is there ANY way to upgrade the CPU in a 2010 21.5 iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac 3.06 i3 8GB RAM 500gb HDD
Title says it all, would love the upgrade to a newer iMac with an i5 or i7 but I haven't enough money. I am taking a photography course at college and editing photos that are a high resolution on photoshop takes its toll on my iMac!

Can you do it?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Title says it all, would love the upgrade to a newer iMac with an i5 or i7 but I haven't enough money. I am taking a photography course at college and editing photos that are a high resolution on photoshop takes its toll on my iMac!

Can you do it?

You might consider installing an SSD.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I thought you could only do that on 27inch models?

SSDs are sold typically in 2.5" HDD form factors, so just about any machine can be upgraded to one, provided it uses a SATA bus connector (which yours does). If I'm not mistaken, all iMacs use 3.5" drives, so you'll need an adapter caddy, but it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Now will faster I/O operations improve the performance of Photoshop while editing? Maybe, if you're digging heavily into VM, but I suspect more memory will be a far more effective upgrade.

CPUs are generally paired with a chipset, so even if the CPU is socketed (and I don't know off-hand that it is), your chipset (the supporting parts that are mounted to your system board and collectively make a series of circuits a computer) won't support it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac 3.06 i3 8GB RAM 500gb HDD
I have already upgraded the RAM to 8GBs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
It is possible to upgrade the chip, but it probably isn't your bottleneck. I've read of people putting a core 2 duo chip in an older core due machine and it worked, and that's a 64 bit vs. 32 bit update. How much use the motherboard makes of it I don't know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Couple questions..

How large are the images you're working with (working size)?
How much free space do you have on your scratch disk?
How fast is your scratch disk?
How do you have PS configured to use RAM/scratch disk?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It is possible to upgrade the chip, but it probably isn't your bottleneck. I've read of people putting a core 2 duo chip in an older core due machine and it worked, and that's a 64 bit vs. 32 bit update. How much use the motherboard makes of it I don't know.

Only certain Macs had a socket though. All the OLD style Intel Minis did but with the newer one, no more socket. I know most of the newer iMacs probably do not. I can find out for sure.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Google it, all the people I saw that tried this ultimately ended up with an unbootable machine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Rob is right. It's a great way to turn your iMac into a doorstop. As dtravis7 stated, older machines used a ZIF socket, newer ones don't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.