New mac Fans going

Reaction score
A mate has just got a new iMac from Apple a refurb.

However the fan is going 100% all the time at over 4k rpm

I installed a HDD fan tool and from this found it was the system fan not the HDD fan i think.

Anyway I tried the Apple reset by unplugging for 15 seconds plugging on 5 second and starting all the same thing.

However what i noticed was that it only started to run when he clicked into the profile.

I created a new blank standard user account and logged onto this and no fan well not 100% all the time.

So before i go and delete the profile etc. anything anyone can suggest what is causing this?

I did call apple but their only soloution was to give a full refund and not fix it;

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It sounds like there is a runaway process that is making the machine run warm. I would open Activity Monitor (Applications => Utilities) and sort the process list by CPU utilization. That should give you a clue as to what process is spiking utilization.

Culprits could be things like animated wallpaper or a poorly written program or dashboard widget. Finding out the name of the process should help us isolate the issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since the machine is a new refurbished model, it's probably best to go ahead and delete that account and just use the new one you created. And of course keep a close watch on the Fan speed. Fan speeds in an iMac are controlled by heat sensors - and there are three fans. HD, CPU, and Optical drive.

If any of the fans begin to act up again, get a refund from Apple or have them send out another refurbished unit.

Normal Fan speeds for a newer iMac:

CPU = ~1200 RPM

HD = ~1100 RPM

Optical = ~1000 RPM

OP
T
Reaction score
I did have a look at the Activity monitor and nothing in there at all causing any issues as per using up a lot of CPU etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.