Interactive table of contents for a Word doc

Reaction score
I would like to create an interactive table of contents (list of chapters) for a lengthy document.
I know there is a Word process to create a table of contents involving styles.
I want to go further, to be able to highlight a chapter heading on the table of contents and have the document then jump to and open at the start of that chapter.
This is available in nearly every "help" document and would be grateful to know it it can be done in Word. It seems to a require links of some sort that I can not fathom.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure it can be done in Word, however, I never use all the goodies that are there. These guys are the experts and would know if it can be done. LINK

You can also post this same question in the Word forum run by MS. LINK

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Is this a separate document - or the same document? By default - I believe that a TOC in Word is clickable hyperlinked field and will navigate to that place in the document. You may have to hold cntrl (or cmd on the Mac) and click.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you, i would like to connect from the table of contents - page one & two of a document to any of what will be perhaps specific places in the 150 pages in the full document. I confess I do not know what a TOC is.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Thank you, i would like to connect from the table of contents - page one & two of a document to any of what will be perhaps specific places in the 150 pages in the full document. I confess I do not know what a TOC is.

TOC=Table of Contents :)

Word's default TOC behavior will do what you want. Just make sure you use a template and Headings to what ever outline level you desire. You can then create a TOC at the front of the document - that will reflect those headings to your specified outline level - and will be navigable via cntrl+mouse click. Before you start digging into that particular document - make a simple one and experiment - and then you'll be able to apply that to the more complicated and lengthy document.

OP
G
Reaction score
Successful but....

I have successfully created a TOC and an Index.

But can not "navigate" via cntrl+mouse click. Anything line I attempt to highlight, highlights the entire index.

What I was hoping to achieve was to be able to highlight a line in the TOC, then have the cursor jump to the page in the text with that chapter heading. This is a common format in help documents, manuals, etc.

OP
G
Reaction score
Sorry, in the above reply, I said "highlights the entire index"
should have read "highlights the entire TOC"

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, in the above reply, I said "highlights the entire index"
should have read "highlights the entire TOC"

Try cmd-click - and do so on the page number - although, depending on the type of TOC you chose - it will probably work anywhere on the line you cmd-click. It will work for you. The TOC is a special field class (I'm not a Word MVP so I don't know all of the proper terminology) but that's why it's easy to highlight the entire TOC sometimes. Try cmd-clicking on the page number and report back.

OP
G
Reaction score
Bravo and thanks. You were pretty well right the first time. It takes a double click without additional keys. It look bad as the entire TOC highlights on the first click and then it goes to the page on the second click.

Deep thanks. I am rolling.

OP
G
Reaction score
Further testing indicates a single click will do it as you originally thought.
It is finicky, the click has to be in one specific and small area i think on the actual number. I shall make the type face stronger to give a larger target area.

Thanks again.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent. You're welcome. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.