Adding an internal HD to my SSD only 27 iMac?

Reaction score
Hi All; My situation is backwards to most -- I came across a good deal on a new 27" iMac equipped with the 256GB SSD drive but want to install an internal HD as well. Is this possible?

Would I be better to install an external HD using the thunderbolt connection? Any difference in performance between the two options?

Thanks!
An iMac nubee

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, it's possible to add another internal HD to your 27" iMac. However, it's not an easy procedure, and the drive has to have the proper firmware and heat sensor to avoid overheating. It's advisable to have it done professionally by Apple.

An external drive is an easy install since all you have to do is attach it to the iMac via Firewire or USB. There are no Thunderbolt drives at present. They are forthcoming but will be expensive.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks chscaG -I've been reading more on th subject and have determined that having the upgrade done professionally is the best solution. Not too happy to discover how difficult is is to do such a simple upgrade...its starting to look like the old days again with Apple. I'm hoping my local reseller can do the work...we shall see.

Thanks again.
Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
With 256gb on the SSD you should have plenty of room for all working files. Photos, videos, music can be on an external drive. It is such a cheap option compared to having one installed, and is portable too.

I installed an SSD on my older iMac, and yes it is a difficult job but far from impossible. And as you can see, it worked when I was done. I didn't have to worry about the warranty as mine is 5 years old already. That would be my main consideration.

OP
G
Reaction score
With 256gb on the SSD you should have plenty of room for all working files. Photos, videos, music can be on an external drive. It is such a cheap option compared to having one installed, and is portable too.

I installed an SSD on my older iMac, and yes it is a difficult job but far from impossible. And as you can see, it worked when I was done. I didn't have to worry about the warranty as mine is 5 years old already. That would be my main consideration.

Thanks zacster; Getting the SSD was my primary consideration. I "thought" adding a HD would be easier than the other-way around. I guess not.

But your idea of going with flexible external storage is an interesting, if slightly expensive idea. The real problem right now is that there's only one thunderbolt option (Promise Pegasis), though others (like lacie) are working on it as well.

It's going to take me some time to transition from my current PC desktop (software and all) so if my local apple reseller can't add a proper HD inexpensively, I may wait a few months to see what external options come onto the market. Any external storage option is certainly going to be more flexible than what Apple will provide for internal options.

Gary

OP
G
Reaction score
UPDATE: I just got off the phone with my local reseller and they won't touch it. The only option is to send the machine to Apple for the upgrade or go with an external drive.

My thinking now is the external thunderbolt option will be the best long-term solution because of the flexibility. I also was concerned about the internal fans running louder due to the extra heat generated by the HD+SSD -- sticking with the SSD internal only should eliminate that.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In my opinion, you made a good decision. With all the reported troubles caused by adding another internal hard drive to the newer iMacs, it just isn't worth the aggravation of doing it yourself and causing a snafu.

I purchased Apple care for our new iMac for that very reason and I'm no amateur when it comes to repairing and working on computers. Been doing it for over 20 years.

I like the new Promise drive but it's out of my price range for now. However, I believe we'll start to see less expensive solutions before too long.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.