Projecting the iPad: VGA to HDMI Conversion

Reaction score
I want to project my iPad using the digital capabilities but the projector in my classroom is only VGA. Has there been success with converting a VGA projector to HDMI?

C

chas_m

I'm really not sure why you're even mentioning HDMI. The iPad 2 can connect to the projector directly using a $30 cable (VGA adapter) Apple sells. You can't "make" a VGA projector magically become HDMI-compatible.

OP
N
Reaction score
Well....the reason I mention HDMI is because when ios5 comes out I will be able to mirror my iPad wirelessly using the apple TV. Which can only be ran using HDMI. I am well aware of the $30.00 adapter.

C

chas_m

Still confused.

What does your Apple TV have to do with a VGA projector in a classroom?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OP
N
Reaction score
Because when the projector is connected to the Apple TV via HDMI cable, (which is why inquire about conversion) the iPad works off the Apple TV using air play. ios5 will allow an update to mirror everything you see without using cables.

I realize that getting an HDMI ready projection may be the next option, but I have to exhaust everything else first.

C

chas_m

Nsmith: thanks so much for clarifying. Wish you had explained the whole thing in the first post. As Bob has mentioned, you need an HDMI to VGA cable. You may also want to check with Monoprice and see if they have a similar unit.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You cannot use a HDMI to VGA "cable". It will not work.

Monoprice does have a converter now. They didn't the last time I had checked. Save yourself a bunch of money - link - make sure you read their advice about using it.

OP
N
Reaction score
You are absolutely correct about monoprice, but here's my issue. I ordered a box from them and I plugged it into the projector and then I ran an HDMI cable from the projector to my coworkers computer, (which has an HDMI input) and I got nothing projecting. (The reason I hadn't tried my iPad yet is because I'm waiting for my adapter to come in.

I'm wondering if I bought the wrong box because while it is a VGA to HDMI conversion box you have to match 1080p to 1080p etc.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are absolutely correct about monoprice, but here's my issue. I ordered a box from them and I plugged it into the projector and then I ran an HDMI cable from the projector to my coworkers computer, (which has an HDMI input) and I got nothing projecting. (The reason I hadn't tried my iPad yet is because I'm waiting for my adapter to come in.

Sorry, but I'm not aware of any video cards that will take a HDMI input into the computer. Only in the last year or so has there been a capture card that would do that.

Besides that, if you want something on the projector, you would not plug into the computer "input" if it had one. You would plug into the computer's HDMI out.

And where is the box in the picture you've painted? You say you plugged a HDMI cable from the projector to the computer. Where's the box?

I'm wondering if I bought the wrong box because while it is a VGA to HDMI conversion box you have to match 1080p to 1080p etc.

You are talking about a whole different scenario now. A VGA to HDMI converter is not the same thing as a HDMI to VGA converter. Almost all of these converters are one way only. They do not work in the opposite direction. For that, you need another converter.

OP
N
Reaction score
Well the Dell laptop that my coworker has is only about 2 months old and has an HDMI Slot on the side. Also, Going from VGA to HDMI is what I want to do, not HDMI to VGA. Basically, I want to take the VGA cable running from the projector, connect it to the converter then take the HDMI cable from the other side of the converter and connect it to the adapter for the iPad that supports HDMI. Eventually when ios5 is available I will use the splitter and hook up the apple tv as well.

One question, am I backwards on the conversion then? Do I need the HDMI to VGA? I just figured that if I needed to turn a VGA device to and HDMI device that I would need VGA to HDMI.

I'm definitely appreciating the feedback so thank you to everyone that is commenting!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That HDMI port on his notebook most definitely will not be a video input. It will be a video "output" so that he can connect it to a separate monitor or TV.

Yep, you have it backwards.

The connection of the video source - your notebook or iPad - is the "from" side and you need an "out" connection .

The connection of the device that you want to watch the video on, or send the video "to" - the projector or TV - is the "to" side and you need an "in" connection.

In your scenario, if you wanted to take what is playing on the projector and watch that on your computer or other device, that would be a VGA to HDMI - that's if you have a VGA "out" on the projector and a HDMI "in" on the computer - both of which are highly unlikely.

You're trying to get what is on the iPad or notebook so that you can watch it on the projector. So, you start with the source - the notebook - which is HDMI and you want to get the picture "to" the VGA port on the projector - hence HDMI to VGA.

When going between analog and digital inputs, the direction you're moving the signal is always important.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, chas, there's so many unscrupulous companies making a cable like that - knowing full well that it doesn't work - and selling it to whomever asks for it - without any concern that their customer is getting what they really need.

The HDMI to VGA cable along with the infamous USB to Firewire cable are only a couple of the "Buyer Beware" cables that are being sold here and there that the typical individual has no clue that they just won't work unless they own specific pieces of special hardware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.