Moving Music Collection to External HD (iTunes Question)

Reaction score
I have about 84GB of music on my HD right now and i figured it would be a great time to invest in another external HD exclusively for these files. Is there any way to move all of my music to my HD without having to go behind in iTunes and retag everything? Or is everything really copied into the iTunes music folder.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Use this procedure from LifeHacker. Or you can access the Apple KB and use the method they give.

OP
J
Reaction score
thx man. This is something i really needed to do. This is going to save me a ton of space. Right now i think i have the iTunes Library + the original folders i've extracted them from. I love this site!

C

chas_m

1. Move entire iTunes folder (located in "Music" in your home folder) to external drive.

2. Open iTunes holding the option key down. It will ask to choose a new iTunes library.

3. Point it to the iTunes folder's new location.

Done.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have another question. Before the last couple of iTunes updates i used to only import the .m3u playlist file and the music would also populate inmy library. With this being said, does iTunes move the actual music file into my iTunes Music folder? Or, is it simply pulling it from the source folder? I just wanna double check.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Depends on the setting under iTunes > Preferences > Advanced: "Copy files to music folder when adding to library"

OP
J
Reaction score
if this wasn't switched on from the beginning would i have to manually add all of my music to the music folder, or would iTunes pull it automatically?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm pretty sure it's on by default, but if you had it off, then run "File - Library - Organize Library… - Consolidate Files"

That will pull in all the files that are spread around your system and will store them in the same place as your iTunes library.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.