Lion has removed Finder

Reaction score
After quitting Finder by the dropdown menu, when clicking
on Finder in the deck it downloads Desktop... not Finder. I also cannot find Finder in Applications.Checking Time Machine, Finder is longer there, only Desktop...so I cannot restore it from my exterior drive. Is it possible that Lion, being a top predator, has eaten my Finder app. ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Try rebooting the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
What do you mean by "quiting" Finder? Do you mean to say that you restarted it from the Force Quit menu?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finder has no quit that I am aware of it's your file manager and it's not an application in a folder. Finder is Mac's equivalent of Explorer for Windows and Gnome for Linux.
Does it still show up as the first icon in your dock with an orb below it ?

OP
A
Reaction score
I accessed Finder the usual way by clicking a square icon with two human profiles embedded in the dock. I quit finder by clicking the Finder down-drop menu at the top left of the Desktop. Spotlight lists Finder in Applications but clicking this Spotlight link does not access Finder...as it should.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can post a screen shot it would help there again in the drop down for Finder there is no quite and it should not be in applications not even sure how that can happen.

OP
A
Reaction score
Not sure whether I can post a screenshot. But here is a listing in the drop down from top to bottom: About Finder,Preferences, Empty Trash,Secure Empty Trash, Services,Hide Finder, Hide Others, Quit Finder. A true task bar drop down. Maybe our settings differ ?

OP
A
Reaction score
By the way, Internet Explorer in Windows is a browser. Finder in Mac is more like the Start menu in Windows, as I believe as is Linux Gnome.

OP
A
Reaction score
The situation seems to be solved. It appears that OS Lion is less a predator rather than a worker of its own magic. For one, a setting in Finder>Preferences was changed behind my back. And then the Finder display was altered and files and folders reshuffled, and perhaps some duplications eliminated. Just another manifestation of the earth churning effects that installing Lion brings about. Anyway, Time Machine is getting a workout to catch up.

Now its time for Apple to perfect Launchpad, and that might diminish the need for Finder.

Thanks to those of you who responded to my SOS.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sorry, Finder in OSX = Explorer in Windows. That is a Fact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As dtravis7 pointed out I did not put internet in front of Explorer two different things
now did you play with Terminal because thats the only way I know you can add quite to the menu ?
Try this click Command + Option + Esc which will bring up a force quite menu and when you select Finder it should change to relaunch select that also keep in mind when you do a force quite of any kind go to Disk Utility and do a repair disk permissions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Do not start another thread. Always continue posting to the same thread. It's nice that your problem has been resolved but it does not require a new thread to say so. Your threads have been merged together.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.