OS X Lion Glitch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
So, I upgraded to OS X Lion soon after release. I think there is a glitch with it.

Earlier today I was surfing the web with multiple browsers open. Once done with one, I closed it as normal and kept surfing on a separate browser. Then once finally finished using Safari, I quit the application. Then later, when I got back on and opened up Safari, it brought up both browsers that I was using earlier, plus one from this morning. The same thing with Word. I go through the finder and open up a document, and word opens the last two, sometimes 3 that were opened. It is similar for about every application I run. I understand the concept of Resume, but this can not be the desired affect. How can I fix this? I've checked for updates, fixed disk permissions ect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into System Preferences Personal > General and make sure the 'Restore Windows' button is NOT activated.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm okay if it restores windows, but I was under the assumption that it would only bring up the last one used. Not the last three?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I'm okay if it restores windows, but I was under the assumption that it would only bring up the last one used. Not the last three?

You stated multiple browsers so it did bring up the last one used on each browser.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But they were both Safari. Just different windows. Regardless, I turned off the option in system preferences. Also, since installing my new hard drive I've noticed that when i start up the machine it makes the chime sound, and then the screen is blank for probably 20 seconds before the apple even appears. I don't remember it doing that on the old HDD, and this one is faster and has 4 gb of Flash for faster memory access. Is there any particular reason for this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But they were both Safari. Just different windows. Regardless, I turned off the option in system preferences. Also, since installing my new hard drive I've noticed that when i start up the machine it makes the chime sound, and then the screen is blank for probably 20 seconds before the apple even appears. I don't remember it doing that on the old HDD, and this one is faster and has 4 gb of Flash for faster memory access. Is there any particular reason for this?

Not all hard drives are created equal what brand and model do you have ?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a seagate Momentus XT Hybrid 500GB 7200 rpm.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anyone know if it is just a poor hard drive? Or is an issue with Lion. I did use Carbon Copy Cloner when I installed everything onto the HDD.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, I bought a Seagate Momentus XT 7200 rpm Hybrid Drive about a week or so ago. It just doesn't seem to have the speed that all 600 reviews for the product and the website claimed. In itself, without the 4gb of flash memory on the drive, it is an upgrade because my old drive was a 5400rpm HDD. But the boot time takes just as long, possible longer. Ever since installing the HDD, when I turn it on, the screen is blank for about 20 or so second and then the apple appears. On the old HDD, the apple appeared almost instantly. Also, when opening applications I barely see an improvement in opening time on things such as Final Cut Express 4 or Livetype. Except for the upgrade in space, I almost can't even tell there is a different hard drive. Is it possible that this is an issue with the fact that I cloned Lion instead of doing a clean install? Or is this something different? Is the hard drive just, idk, bad? I did a S.M.A.R.T status check and it says the HDD is operating normally.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anyone know if it is just a poor hard drive? Or is an issue with Lion. I did use Carbon Copy Cloner when I installed everything onto the HDD.

I searched for said problem and came up empty so far reviews were favorable but it is electronics and anything can happen.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See, that's what I thought. But I did a S.M.A.R.T test and it says the HDD is fine and in working order. So I am confused.

Plus, I did do my research on it. I'm not just fishing for someone else to google it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There's some fairly mixed reviews on that particular drive on this forum. One of our moderators, who is extremely savvy, had some serious issues with that particular drive. So much so, that he eventually yanked it and stopped using it entirely.

With that said, we've seen some positive reviews as well. I'd be willing to bet it has a lot to do with the particular firmware revision that drive is running. Aside from seeking assistance from Seagate on checking and updating the firmware as necessary (and note that this may need to be done from Windows), you may also want to reset your PRAM as I've noticed that when making partition changes, I have seen some delay in the time that the Apple logo appears at boot until the PRAM is reset.

You can do this by turning the machine off and then pressing and holding Command+Option+P+R immediately after turning the machine on. Continue holding until you hear the system chime twice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

The hard drive is likely OK, however, migrating data with CCC or SuperDuper is not the best way because it merely clones any fragmentation that might have been present on the old drive. The best way to migrate is by using Time Machine after a clean install. Makes quite a bit of difference especially it seems if you're running Lion.

See, that's what I thought. But I did a S.M.A.R.T test and it says the HDD is fine and in working order. So I am confused.

That doesn't test the drive electronics. But as I said above, I think your drive is OK. I believe it has more to do with the way you migrated your old data to the new drive.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will try a clean install of Lion first. I was told that since I used Carbon Copy Cloner, that it may have some fragmentation on the drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I merged all this into your original thread. Do not start a new thread when the subject is still the same as it causes confusion and multiple replies.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The hard drive is likely OK, however, migrating data with CCC or SuperDuper is not the best way because it merely clones any fragmentation that might have been present on the old drive. The best way to migrate is by using Time Machine after a clean install. Makes quite a bit of difference especially it seems if you're running Lion.

Curious. CCC and SuperDuper don't clone sector-by-sector, they copy file-by-file. How would that carry over fragmentation on a newly formatted disk?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sure did on my system. I used CCC on my 2008 MacBook to clone to an external and back again in order to remove any fragmentation before installing Lion. I used iDefrag to measure before and after and what I discovered is it copied everything back exactly as it had cloned it including fragmentation. It acted exactly like the old Norton Ghost and True Image. I'm thinking SuperDuper is the same although I can't confirm that without running some tests.

I wound up installing Lion anyway and then ran a complete off line defrag which took about 3 hours to complete. After which all fragmentation was gone.

I didn't have that problem installing Lion on the iMac because it was so new and had no fragmentation to speak of.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CHSCAG:

Once I found out that this might have been a hardware issue and not OSX Lion I assumed I wouldn't get many more replies on here as it is a forum dedicated to Lion. So I created one on the Notebook section.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand, but it's best to keep the thread all together in one place. That also helps others in the future who may be doing a search on the same thing.

Thanks.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, then how do I do a clean install of Lion onto my computer with all of the files still on it? I'd rather not have to wipe it. It's kind of labor intensive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.