Graphics program suggestions?

D

djmitch

A post in this forum suggested trying the Drawing feature of Appleworks for creating some simple designs. However, when trying to create a fairly simple logo, I've found this feature to not offer much flexibility. Specifically, upon drawing a circle for example, I'd like to be able to erase a portion of it, add lines to the ends of the circle, join all elements to create a polygon, then fill the shape with a color, texture, etc. Appleworks does not allow me to do any of this, unless there's something I haven't figured out yet.

Without breaking the bank, is there a program(s) for Mac that could do these kinds of things?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
adobe illustrator is your best bet when it comes to designing a logo. ;)

OP
D

djmitch

Maybe I should clarify: Is there a program that can do the things I stated in my original post for under $50 U.S. (the cheaper the better)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
ah, in that case, not that I know of, though a search on versiontracker.com or macupdate.com should yield some results that you can use, maybe a sketch program or something like that.

OP
T

Tigerman

If you're looking for an illustration program, the only ones under 50$ will be free. Free deosn't mean bad, take the GIMP for example. It's almost as good as photoshop, but you don't want that. The GIMP is more about photo editing and graphic effects and that stuff...I'll have to look into it :doctor:

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Vector programs are the best for doing that. However, there is a free alternative to Illustrator CS2, and that app is called Inkscape. Hope that's what works for ya.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
you can grab photoshop elements 3 too for cheap

OP
D

djmitch

iWhat said:
Vector programs are the best for doing that. However, there is a free alternative to Illustrator CS2, and that app is called Inkscape. Hope that's what works for ya.

Thanks for the suggestion! Actually, I found Inkscape on Macupdate before I read your post (thanks to Macman's suggestion!) and once I installed X11 from my Tiger disk it ran perfectly and did what I wanted it to do. My only beef with it is how I can only export to a .png file. I'll have to experiment opening the .png files I create in other applications then see if I can save to other formats without too much data loss.

OP
D

djmitch

macAttack said:
you can grab photoshop elements 3 too for cheap
It doesn't do what Illustrator or Inkscape can do regarding my original post. As iWhat suggested, only vector programs seem to be able to do these things. Thanks anyhow.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
OP
J

Jake

I know of a budget vector drawing program called INTAGLIO for around $90... Or if you're a student and don't plan on doing any commercial work, you can buy a student version of Illustrator for pretty cheap. I'd recommend Illustrator, there's a reason why it's the industry standard!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.