Raid 0 with existing files

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to these forums

I wanted to ask about going Raid 0 with 2 120gb Hard drives on my Macbook 2,1. The Macbook already has an existing OS with files in it. I was wondering if I can replace the broken super drive with an existing drive then put both 120gb in it.

Do I still need to backup the existing OS? Im going to have a hard time if I have to because I can't reinstall Snow Leopard now since there are a lot of files and apps in the macbook that are school issued and I can't replace those.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
If it were me, I'd clone the drive to an external, install the second drive, format both internal drives in a RAID-0 configuration, then restore from your clone on the external. You should be able to use the system DVD that came with your computer to do all this.

OP
J
Reaction score
What programs can I use to clone the hard drive?

Nevermind, I googled how to do it. Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Let me give you a suggestion ..... Forget about RAID-0 completely.
RAID-0 will combine your 2 disks and present them as a single partition, in fact you can double your disk space.

However ... if one of the disks fails, you will loose the complete partition, including all data.

It is up to you to decide..... don't forget to take frequent backups and good luck.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.