6 GB of ram in macbook late 2007?

Reaction score
I've got a macbook currently with 1GB of ram in it (Model: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch White) MB061LL/B). I'm planning on upgrading it to 4, but when I went in to the apple shop shop they told me I could go up to 6!

How would I do this? Do I buy one 4GB and one 2GB, or 2x4GB?

Is it the extra memory worth it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How would I do this? Do I buy one 4GB and one 2GB, or 2x4GB?

4 gig + 2 gig.

Is it the extra memory worth it?

Well yes...why are you doing the ram upgrade on the first place?;)

If you only upgrade to 4 gig...then you'll be buying 2 gig + 2 gig. Then if you want to upgrade to 6 gig later...you'll have to buy a 4 gig stick of ram...making one of the 2 gig sticks of ram from the earlier upgrade a bit wasteful.

But I will mention that upgrading to 6gig is much more expensive than upgrading to 4 gig. My wife has a 2008 MacBook...and we were considering the same upgrade as you. A 4 gig upgrade (2 x 2 gig) costs around $53.99...and upgrading to 6 gig (2 gig + 4 gig was around $109.99)...more than double. Basically...the 4 gig sticks of ram are a lot more expensive than the 2 gig sticks (which is fairly normal).

Also (technically) it is supposed to be "slightly" faster to upgrade using matching pairs of ram. But this speed increase may or may not be noticeable compared to the 6 gig of ram upgrade.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.