Can you run any Windows program on a Mac?

Reaction score
If I have a Mac, and am using a program like Parallels, VMware, or Virtual Box, can I be sure then that I can use any Windows based program that I would be able to use on a PC?

Reaction score
I am using Parallels Desktop 6 works fine, just install Parallels and then you will asked to insert yours windows CD and then its just like installing on a PC, install and use any windows program,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Pretty much, yeah. But "any" is rather broad. Do you work for the US Dept. of Defense, the FBI, CIA... ? etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If I have a Mac, and am using a program like Parallels, VMware, or Virtual Box, can I be sure then that I can use any Windows based program that I would be able to use on a PC?

No, you can not be sure. Chances are that most Windows programs will run in a VM, however, the question will be how well will they run? For example: games that require direct 3D access and fast graphic rendering do not run well or sometimes at all in a VM.

The only way to guaranty that a Windows program will run adequately is to setup a dual boot using the Boot Camp Assistant and then run Windows natively.

Reaction score
Hi toMacsh

Very funny no just a normal Mac home user, and normally use windows XP with parallels desktop otherwise i would have sold the imac a long time ago, as i find mac op system very primativ, windows is miles ahead in user friendlyness, the only thing mac has is it is very stabile system.

Reaction score
chsaq You might be right with the bootcamp never tried it maybe one day i will try dual boot and boot camp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Hi toMacsh

Very funny no just a normal Mac home user, and normally use windows XP with parallels desktop otherwise i would have sold the imac a long time ago, as i find mac op system very primativ, windows is miles ahead in user friendlyness, the only thing mac has is it is very stabile system.

Not primitive just far less micromanaged and yes i use 10.7.1, Windows 7 / 64 and Ubuntu 11.04 / 64 they all have their good and bad points but OSX IMO still ahead of the pack.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.